Anyone use PPU Ammunition ?

Pat Ferrett

Well I got the chance to try them out yesterday and they are consistent but they dont break up on Roe and pass through leaving a exit hole about as big as a 50p piece, also 1 shot made so much smoke that I couldnt see if Id hit the rabbit Id shot at.

Ill use them up and then go back to the polly tip just for the peace of mind.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got the chance to try them out yesterday and they are consistent but they dont break up on Roe and pass through leaving a exit hole about as big as a 50p piece, also 1 shot made so much smoke that I couldnt see if Id hit the rabbit Id shot at.

Ill use them up and then go back to the polly tip just for the peace of mind.

If the exit is the size of a 50p it has expanded perfectly. That's about 3 times the diameter of your .243. As for smoke was it the first round and have you got a can on?spraying oil into the can to clean it will produce excessive smoke from the first round as will oil in the barrel. Oil in the barrel can lead to pressure spikes, be careful if home loading near to max charge!

If the exit is the size of a 50p it has expanded perfectly. That's about 3 times the diameter of your .243. As for smoke was it the first round and have you got a can on?spraying oil into the can to clean it will produce excessive smoke from the first round as will oil in the barrel. Oil in the barrel can lead to pressure spikes, be careful if home loading near to max charge!

I hear where your coming from Deerman:thumbup1: I just prefer the bullet to break up rather than just expand tumble and through and through, thats why Ill stick with the polly tip. As for the smoke It wasnt because of oil in the mod and was about the 12th shot.

Nosler BT, combined tech etc are a very good bullet. I used to use nosler exclusively. If you drive them fast they do fragmantate and they can be explosive! After all they were used very successfully as a varmint round! Your .243 with a 70 grain BT whistles, turns Charlie inside out! I do know someone that uses it on everything!

Is your can strippable and if so it could be moly burning off?

Use a collet die, you won't need to re weigh the powder but you will have to check the neck tension.

For the price of Privi it's worth it just for the brass and primer.

Just got back in from stalking withy new Swiss Arms SHR 970, used Privi and it was fine, the Munty didn't hear the bang. High neck, good expansion, well pleased with it!