the future of forestry and FC in the UK

europeantrees

Is no one slightly concerned about the effect that the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) will have on the future of UK forests? You can smokescreen any financial/economic led policy with an environmental spin! Panel decisions on the future of the estate will not only look at the lack of financial viability that forestry in the UK currrently suffers, but the longer term value of wood as a energy/fuel asset - This is potentially more worrying than private sell off!!!!

as far as I can see it will probably help the forestry industry that is the growers and harvesters for far too long. There's been no money or not a lot ingrowing trees I can remember within the last 20 years. A pound a tonne for things is now becoming economic to bring some neglected Woods back into production.

It seems madness the government in the business of timber production?

All the public benefits the FC delivers could all be given with the Forests and woodlands in private ownership.

When woodland is sold, appropriate access provisions can be written into the deeds. Indeed I believe any FC land which the freehold is owned, has already had the land declared as open access.

A large part of the FC estate is held leasehold, during the 1920's long leases were purchased from the big landed estates, typically 199-999 year leases. These forests typically have restricted public access, being a leaseholder the FC don't have the rights to bestow public access on this land.

As the informed arbtlak members will know, clearfelling forests is not an option.

Welll at least not without a felling licence and a woodland management plan.

It seems the media are very ill informed and scaremonger.

IMO the FC should regulate and adminster forestry policy.

Actually if you think the government should own forests;

1. Sell all existing forests.

2. Use the money to buy/lease land and plant new forests.

Could instantly double the area of woodland cover. Plus the new forests could be planted near to where they would deliver the most benefit.

As for the RHI its only good if it brings neglected woodland back into management.

I went to a Forestry Commission Scotland led Bio Fuels demonstration day at Arniston House on Thursday and it was interesting to hear their take on the RHI.

I was left feeling slightly uncomfortable about the whole matter as the overwhelming spin put on the whole scheme was one of financial gain, with sustainability secondary.

I really do feel that such schemes should be promoted for their intrinsic value and sustainability, rather than because there is a lucrative grant available for it. I think that these grant schemes promote a boom and bust style economy - what happens when the scheme runs out and all these people being paid thousands a year to heat their homes are suddenly penniless?

What was very useful about the day was the reminder about the different efficiencies of methods of burning. Open fires should be banned, for reasons of air pollution and terrible efficiency (10%). Good stoves and boilers will run at 70-90% and they would represent an excellent utilisation of our resources.

Regarding the future of the FC, I'm ambivalent about them. They are pretty hopeless at commercial forestry, not great at regulating felling (some very dubious 'thinnings' at various sites locally, all sanctioned by felling licences, and all have ruined the woodlands), cost the state quite a bit of money, but they are getting better at the amenity stuff. If the ownership of the woodlands were to change, I would be keen for them to stay out of the hands of the large charities as they don't really do forestry. Speaking to a representative of the National Trust for Scotland at this demo, he informed me that their trustees don't like to cut trees down!

Perhaps community ownership would be the way forward. If a village owned and managed their own woods, they would take more of an interest in it and it would become self sustaining, both economically and for the benefit of local people and wildlife.