SRT_Questions about setting anchor

apcoble

You explained that well in the 2nd paragraph of your response. That is essentially what we're doing, where we have a separate rope (retrieving rope) to pull down ascending rope at the end of the day. I think you make a good point about not being able to be belayed from the ground.

The only problem is that I was considering having two anchor points. We currently have a horizontal cable that were operating off of. The cables were installed to trees about 15 m in the air. Below the cable, we're ascending from an anchor point that is the double-tandem pully attached to the cable. This may sound strange, but I'm conducting tree physiology research. That is why we had cables installed, they are essentially our research plots in the tree canopies.

....and I'm asking these questions because I want to access canopies above this cable, using two single ropes attached to different anchor points. sorry if that was confusing.

A line that is chocked of at the base of the stem is easy retrievable. Un- Choke and lower the termination end to retrieve the climber, alternatively un choke and pull the tail back. An alpine butterfly chocked of in the canopy is simply retrieved buy pulling on the non tail end. The tail will be pulled through the butterfly and result in a single line.

Im with you, i think i mis-read your original post (lots of motorway miles in crappy weather this weekend mean the brain is no longer in top gear!). you've managed to describe what i was trying to in a much simpler and shorter manner!!

do you use different methods for different applications? i would imagine choking at the stem for longer retrievable ascents and alpine butterfly choked around a branch for shorter footlocking to lower anchor/access point (quicker setup)??