A job I'm dreading! (I love it when a plan comes together!)

Andy Collins

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was only the back-up originally, I had to off-load the truck to get it away again, time went against me, apparently the queues out of the show site were terrible, causing the truck to be late. I have the main man in from tomorrow, the one who couldnt help at last minute today due to an ill father, shant be having Bollock-Chops back at all. Shame cos it made my day end on a downer, the trees only cost 3k each anyway :001_rolleyes:

£3k!!!

Have a better day tomorrow mate :)

Nearly had a heart attack when he skinned the bugger! Sure things will pan out, once I get into the proper work, rather than shifting plants off trucks!

Edited by Andy Collins

Just got in, full on day, prepping the ground for the planting, getting the Pines into a temporary holding area. Glenn on the digger did a sterling job, top man, made up for the other idiot yesterday. 2nd artic arrived in from Chelsea at 6.30pm, plants a lot bigger than I was told, so Glenn stayed on and helped get the largest in the ground, we knocked off at 9pm.

IMG00670-20110601-1458.jpg.f26bbaa302d2091c97aabbecc49861f2.jpg

IMG00669-20110601-1457.jpg.ef4e1c56c7b48b4db44135bbcdb14025.jpg

IMG00668-20110601-1307.jpg.701516cd7bba141346ce48ab02ce734a.jpg

Too dry!! I'm having to put a bowser of water into each tree pit, takes for ever to refill. The soil has been 'improved" with 30% rotted manure, 30% soil improver, and existing topsoil mixed up. All very time consuming tasks, the day ran away.

whats goin to happen with all the excavated soil afterwards, i guess theres goin to be a lot. looking good so far, youve cracked on by the looks of it.

Yes Dave, crackin on is what I like:biggrin: Both the trucks have been in now, I needed to get the plants in the ground asap due to the heat. Trying to keep those rootballs moist was my biggest concern. The Pines are temporarily in a holding area, they will be transplanted to create an "island" down in the pasture in 3 or so weeks time, once the hay has been cut. The surplus soil is to be used to create the "island", my idea being to create a natural focal point from the house. To a certain extent, the pressure is now off, I can now get back to enjoying the job, hopefully I'll rattle off a couple of pics as I progress now.

I've learned a lot about logistics on this job, co-ordinating the movement of plants from Chelsea to Suffolk, having to fit in with Chelsea's clearance schedule nearly blew my plans out of the water. I also learned that just because someone says they can unload trees, doesnt mean they can! Equally, my faith in others abilities were bolstered by Glenns' dedication to help me yesterday, he went far beyond his brief as a digger driver, top man, and now a good friend.:001_smile: