l200 head gasket

tncountryservices

evening all,

i after picking some brains, i bought a L200 on monday and half way home it started to over heat, after checking the water pump and thermostat i suspect the head gasket needs replacing as on running up to temp there is steam coming from the injector seal and the glow plug. The guy i bought it from has offered £300 towards the repair or a full refund.

any thought? repair or refund?

cheers guys

tom

Milners do a new cyl head bare £230 or built up £430, I'd be looking first if not the gasket, at the egr cooler on the drivers side of the engine. They can corrode through and pressurize the coolant with exhaust gases and appear like gasket trouble... In that case I would just remove the egr setup... All assuming k74 variant

150k, i'm a little suspicious as the water pump and thermostat look almost brnad new and the coolent was fesh also, the head cracking was what i was wondering about most if theres as chance think i'll go refund.

now just need to haul it 300 miles back!!!!

Obviously been playing up for a while and he's tried all the cheap fixes. Now he knows it's a big money job he's tried offloading it on some unwary punter.

Get your money back.

i think i'll def be returning it, does anyone think i justified/allowed in charging the dealer for the cost of retrning it? had a couple of quotes for £750+ for the 360 mile delivery. i would trailer it back myself but don't have a truck that i would trust on that sort of trip.

thanks for the help guys

tom

i think i'll def be returning it, does anyone think i justified/allowed in charging the dealer for the cost of retrning it? had a couple of quotes for £750+ for the 360 mile delivery. i would trailer it back myself but don't have a truck that i would trust on that sort of trip.

thanks for the help guys

tom

I assumed it was a private sale. If it's from a dealer then let him collect the vehicle.

Sounds like a nightmare but in reality the bloke would of known if the head was going and if he sold it to you knowing just that then he should cover cost's of returning the vehicle but then if its a private dealer you may find he will not ,but defo would not bother to take it on return it get your money back ,my mate had her head gasket go the other week the garage charged £800 for re skimm new fittings etc and that was only on a corsa. parts for l200 are easily available if your prepaired to take it on and do the work it needs but from my l200 i have experienced once one thing starts going wrong it just keeps coming your doing the right thing by taking it back good luck in getting yr money back