Arb arisings as a potential wood chip biomass fuel source?

dgcunningham

Based just outside Bolton

Torrefied wood we can produce direct from arb arising once it is torrefied it becomes more friable and easier to pelletise than normal wood pellets with the added advantage that it is hydrophobic.

I dont know of any UK manufacturers only Dutch and Canadian

Your proximity to us is uncanny, not far at all. I'm pretty sure you may know or have had some dealings with Phil Benn of ECOS.

I'm just in the process of digesting some torrefaction literature, started with the papers produced by University of Aberdeen and the more comprehensive P.C.A. Bergman paper. You know any other good literature on the subject? The product 'turn around' and the capacity to burn off unwanted organic matter seems to address a couple of my major concerns with using recycled arb-wood chip as biomass.

I'm pretty interested in learning about the installations required for this and the energy consumption. Didn't you say you were hoping to produce yourself in the longterm? Are you hoping to start up your own facility?

D.

ECOS ???

Not really into research more a case of JFDI.

The torrefication plant is part of our CHP plant but is subject to patents so I will not be discussing how it works on a forum.

If you have £1.2m you can get an off the shelf torreficaton plant from Toppell in the Netherlands.

Fair comment about the patent pending design and not wanting to comment upon it. I appreciate you sharing what you have already, great food for thought on the potential for arb-sourced biomass and the future for biomass as an industry looks very exciting. Really pleased we are involved in our own little way.

1.2m is a LOT too far to stretch for our social enterprise but, great potential to become a supplier to a facility if one is installed nearby. All things considered, the feasibility study is looking promising and the scope to recycle the bi-product of our industry whilst generating a value added product could, hopefully, create greater appreciation and exposure for our industry as a whole.

Regards and thanks to everybody who contributed to the thread.

D.

:thumbup:

this link mite help you this is how my son got his idea for a tree station is co.durham

http://www.bioregional.com/files/publications/WoodChipProduction_Apr06.pdf

http://www.bioregional.com/files/publications/TreeStationProject_Sep01.pdf

these mite help he is only 15 comeing up to 16 and it help him alot

Josy123

Good link to that Sep 01 file. I wish I had read that before embarking down a similar route although I think it would not have bothered as the results seem quite pessimistic. Certainly would not be a good report to show to a bank manager as the returns do not justify funding.

• 2 weeks later...