Help

topher9381

Can anyone please tell me what this is:confused1::confused1: I found it while up a large oak

It looks like dried out and oxydized (acid) cambium leakage caused by rhizomorphs of a parasitic Honey Fungus (Armillaria spp.) locally blocking the transport of water and nutrients, but it could also arise from a Phytophthora infection. Were there any flies, wasps or butterflies licking from it (see photo) ?

---

Zomereik-cambiumlek-vlinder.jpg.f8aadb5cc965631410c44b2179163e62.jpg

"FUNGUS...I was gonna say exactly that too but you beat me to it, ha!"

Nice to meet you and THANK YOU for your invaluable input here on 'ARBTALK'.

I was also gonna suggest it may be one of the symptoms of the phenomena called 'Acute Oak Decline' (AOD) and direct 'Topher' to:

Forest Research - Acute oak decline

Regards..

Paul

I was also gonna suggest it may be one of the symptoms of the phenomena called 'Acute Oak Decline' (AOD) and direct 'Topher' to:

Forest Research - Acute oak decline

Paul,

Thanks for adding information on the bacterial or micro-organism based Acute Oak Decline, I forgot to mention :thumbup1: , because we don't have any or much (?) experience with sudden oak death in The Netherlands (yet). It can hardly be a coincidence, that today a press release warning for AOD to be expected or already present in The Netherlands, came out on the internet.

---

Paul,

Thanks for adding information on the bacterial or micro-organism based Acute Oak Decline, I forgot to mention :thumbup1: , because we don't have any or much (?) experience with sudden oak death in The Netherlands (yet). It can hardly be a coincidence, that today a press release warning for AOD to be expected or already present in The Netherlands, came out on the internet.

---

Gerrit, sorry to hear that, and even more so as we seem to be floundering a little in establsihhing the cause and taking appropriate measures to control, confine or improve the situation...I think becasue we don't really know what we're dealing with so where does one start?

Regards..

Paul

even more so as we seem to be floundering a little in establishing the cause and taking appropriate measures to control, confine or improve the situation...I think because we don't really know what we're dealing with so where does one start?

Paul,

That is exactly what worries me, not knowing what we're up against by identifying and fight or at least control the causing organism, before it reaches my countries of first concern.

And a question in return : did you see any flying insects (see : prior and present photo's) lick from the black secretion associated with AOD, or is it just confined to the (vinegar) acid rich cambium leakage caused by (rhizomorphs of) parasitic Armillaria species, as I so far have documented this phenomenon ?

---

Zomereik-cambiumlek-ho.jpg.bbca744ac5f2744136a3ef53979458ee.jpg

Edited by Fungus

Paul,

That is exactly what worries me, not knowing what we're up against by identifying and fight or at least control the causing organism, before it reaches my countries of first concern.

And a question in return : did you see any flying insects (see : prior and present photo's) lick from the black secretion associated with AOD, or is it just confined to the (vinegar) acid rich cambium leakage caused by (rhizomorphs of) parasitic Armillaria species, as I so far have documented this phenomenon ?

---

In those cases I have observed I don't recall any insect activity 'per se' BUT I have seen this with wasps and hornets when the infection is related to HF and you get the strong associated odour present.

In those cases I have observed I don't recall any insect activity 'per se' BUT I have seen this with wasps and hornets when the infection is related to HF and you get the strong associated odour present.

So this might be an identifying marker for Armillaria as opposed to Phytophthora and AOD then ?