Mitsubishi winch?

hazzygawa

I have the old type L200 and run into problems with insurance, so mounted a winch on the back, fairly easy to mod the tow bar. modified a heavy tube bumper for the front, for shunting in woods. The winch really works well and even made up a large rear facing fork to anchor, which gives me far more pulling power than fitting a winch to the front. If of interest I will ask my son to put up some photos. If you are not too far from Banbury drop by for a demo.:thumbup:

I have the old type L200 and run into problems with insurance, so mounted a winch on the back, fairly easy to mod the tow bar. modified a heavy tube bumper for the front, for shunting in woods. The winch really works well and even made up a large rear facing fork to anchor, which gives me far more pulling power than fitting a winch to the front. If of interest I will ask my son to put up some photos. If you are not too far from Banbury drop by for a demo.:thumbup:

That sounds like you have a good setup. I would be interested to see some photos if you have any. I am not too far from Banbury. I live in the daventry area.

will get my son onto it tonight - I'm 62 yr old spanner type. The winch fork was made by a Agri eng, lad near us makes anything for landy's etc, so he may be able to help.

I found the winch so useful with fallen boughs in hedges etc just makes the job alot safer.

I'm just 1 mile south of Banbury:thumbup:

here are some pics, towing out a fair size tree out of a ditch, with the help of in effect a reverse ground anchor that hooks into the tow bar and acts as an extra brake for the winch to pull from, and the winch cable doubled up back to the tow bar! :D

CNV00035.jpg

CNV00037.jpg

CNV00036.jpg

you had problems with insurance, so you mounted it at the back, and a heavy duty bumper at the front? Why would it make a difference where its mounted, its still classed as a modifcation?

here are some pics, towing out a fair size tree out of a ditch, with the help of in effect a reverse ground anchor that hooks into the tow bar and acts as an extra brake for the winch to pull from, and the winch cable doubled up back to the tow bar! :D

That looks like an awesome tool mate! Esspecially like the anchor! I take it its removeable as you cant see the number plate

The winch has heavy current connectors, so soon comes off although it's on alot in the winter but I fitted another number plate to the Ifor Williams back flap (although technically it doesn't have 2 little lights). The plate above the anchor is a bit of argi kit, basicly a plate with 2 large holes - not really neaded. The anchor bar is made of heavy 2" angle with plates welded on, I just stand on the anchor as I'm winching to make it bit. I will get the Lad to do some more pictures.

The front bumper. On my old Ranger I a made a 3" tube bumper set low so it did'nt show but was useful in the woods. The lad who later brought the Ranger made a better one, so when he sold it I had the 'improved one' and modified it to fit the L200 (hardly shows- not an Aussie cow bar) for woodland - it's risk but it's coming off soon.

No other mods , just jacked up the front torsion bars and reset the steering and fitted HD springs to the back, to give it more lift handy on rutted farm track:thumbup1:

That looks like a pretty good setup. Is it possible to put the tailgate down even on the check chains without it hitting the top of the winch?

Yep no problem. The key is the old 2" square section draw bar with a towball plate with 2 sets of holes - I fitted a 2 ft length of heavy gauge 2" angle to pick up these upper bolt holes, giving a flat bed for the winch base plate with a pair of 12 mm bolts to form a clamp onto the draw bar. Note the 2 tow bar spacers and drop plate going to the combi tow ball. I had problems with the tow ball using the roller fairlead so I fitted the black iron type, giving more space to hitch up.

the only slight problem is the tow ball assy now sticks out and can catch the ground on rough off roading, but it needs to be low for my IW trailer.

I run a pair of 16mm cables alongside the chassis from the battery with a 150A fuse and isolator.

I only needed the winch for woodland work, so on the back is brill, plus 'if' something goes I get to keep the windscreen:sneaky2:

I used to do alot of heavy lift work years ago, so assessing the physics involved really helps - pulling down a large bough could easily rip the back off my truck. Overall it doesn't get used alot but really make life alot safer and saves ringing up and hand lugging wood out over ditches - now I just winch it out and ring up:thumbup: