Milling some elm

ashman

Drill 2 holes in bar near ends ,, meaning one near saw and other near sprocket

Yes, thats exactly what i had in mind, i was going to use 1" box section for the mill, with threaded bar to adjust the cutting depth.

Yes, thats exactly what i had in mind, i was going to use 1" box section for the mill, with threaded bar to adjust the cutting depth.

It will work, but is likely to wobble about a fair bit. This isn't so much critical with regard to surface finish, more that the vibration and low cutting speed you'll end up with will make you wonder how on earth people can stand to do this!

If you can use this approach to get lumps out, and want to borrow the Alaskan over the next few weeks, it would give you a good comparison. Where in Beds are you?

Alec

It will work, but is likely to wobble about a fair bit. This isn't so much critical with regard to surface finish, more that the vibration and low cutting speed you'll end up with will make you wonder how on earth people can stand to do this!

If you can use this approach to get lumps out, and want to borrow the Alaskan over the next few weeks, it would give you a good comparison. Where in Beds are you?

Alec

Hi Alec, i am just outside bedford, (to the north).

I can imagine that a homemade mill wont be ideal in comparison to a proper alaskan job, if work had been better i would already have invested in one, but alas, times are very tight.

I am thinking of trying to "wheel" the trunk out now and get it back to my yard, to deal with it at a later date.

The mrs has been on at me to make a dining table, and i am hoping this will be a nice lump of wood, not even seen it yet, but have been told it is good by the man who felled it about 4 months ago. if i can get two good planks at full width then i have the table top sorted.

So, how did it go?

Alec

For several reasons i did not mill it on site.

I had a set of wheels, so made up an axle, rolled the trunk oto this and pulled it out with my quad bike, (took some shifting).

It now sits in my shed ready to be milled as and when i get time and the kit.

Many thanks for the kind offers of borrowing a mill, unsure at the moment quite how i am going to do it, i have been thinking an alaskan may be a good buy as i have some oak that needs doing at some point.

It does look a very good lump, am looking forward to making something from it.

Thankyou for all your suggestions, think it may still be sitting there otherwise.

Regards, Rob.