conversion volumes

catman

im sorry if this has been asked before but...... i might be coming to the end of my usual supply of standing timber so i might have to buy a load in.

so i presume that means an artic for circa £60 a tonne ? so when this is converted how many cube would this make on average as i know this will alter depending on timber size

Ed

The question, as you have framed it, is impossible to answer.

Perhaps if you knew the metric dimensions of the load (HxWxL ) and multiplied by a factor of 0.6 for straight timber (0.48 for crooked timber)...

This would give you the approximate volume of the load in solid cubic metres.

Then depending on whether you were stacking the cut and split timber or leaving it loose would give you a conversion factor of somewhere in the region of 1.4-1.5 times as being the best average.

If you want to calculate the volume of a straight log I find this formula handy:

(0.7857x Diameter squared x Length) = Volume in metres squared.

where the diameter of the log is measured half-way along it's length.

Michael

im sorry if this has been asked before but...... i might be coming to the end of my usual supply of standing timber so i might have to buy a load in.

so i presume that means an artic for circa £60 a tonne ? so when this is converted how many cube would this make on average as i know this will alter depending on timber size

Ed

As a rough rule of thumb you can work on 1.5m3 for hardwood and up to 2m3 for less dense softwood per ton of wood with bagged logs. So for a bulk load you can anticipate a yield of 38m3 to 50m3 split logs.