Hobbs or GRCS

Paul Smith

See what you mean Peter. What about if you pre- tensioned with the winch, tied it off and fitted the bollard? Little bit of a fiddle but doable?

Not really possible!! The tension is held by the capstan. You can drop sections on the capstan, so pretensioning is possible. Even better than the Hobbs IMO becasue you can pull rope though as the section falls, this is better than tensioning thew line.

If you are blocking a stem, a pretensioned line will be pulling the load into the stem (straight down) and cut close the cut onto the saw and cause problems. It can even make it harder to push the logs off the stem. (of course a pulling line could be used).

With the GRCS, if used withing a certian load limit which IMO is anything you would dare do with a 16mm rope!, you can leave the line untensioned (not slack) and as you push the log off the ground pulls in the slack right up until the log passes the pulley then its let out again. I dont think thats possible with the HObbs.

Of course there comes a point when this doesn't work, then you dig out the 19mm rope put the bollard on and get on with it.

We dont even take the bollard on to site unless the 19mm rope is coming aswell. All the blocking I have done with a 14 or 16mm rope has been straight onto the capstan.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither, but it is more about not destroying the cycles to failure by exceeding the SWL.

I did strip all the bark off a lump of beech, 4 feet long by 3 feet diameter, snatched off onto a 19mm line. The skinned lump just pinged straight out of the rope and put a big dent in the lawn.

The other point to remember is that the lower down the stem you get, the heavier the lumps and the less room the groundie has to let it run......

and as you push the log off the ground pulls in the slack right up until the log passes the pulley then its let out again. I dont think thats possible with the HObbs.

Much easier to do with the Hobbs than with the GRCS.

This one of the biggest Beech I have done, didn't need the bollard or the 19mm rope. Of course we could have used the bollard a bit more and it might make sense to reduce wear on the capstan but my groundie prefers the capstan and he's in charge!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUpZJNvM6io]YouTube - Beech Rigging 3-4 B.wmv[/ame]