Whats the best way to search for employment (South Wales area)

sasha.p

Im looking at doing cs30&31 in sept which will soon come around, I just wanted to know though what does everyone recomend on a way of getting out there and finding employment I check job center regular but in the whole time i have been looking there is never any jobs in arboristery advertised how do you find a company that will employ you ?where should i look should i contact companies and just ask?:confused1:

Do local companies stop at a garage near you, meet up at a pub on a Friday evening? If so try introducing yourself to them face to face and see if they are taking anyone on. You've already started this thread, so see if any one comes forward here. Prepare a brief CV to forward to anyone who contacts you. Offer to do a trial period, you may be just the sort of person they're looking for, but they dont know it yet. Good luck, its a tough yet rewarding journey. :001_smile:

Hi Sasha, the job centre only has a tiny percentage of the arb' jobs available out there and their search system is totally useless!

I'd suggest a quick trawl through Yell.com to find out where your nearest tree surgery firms are based and then get busy calling them all to offer your services. Most people in the tree work world are generally pretty helpful and if they can't give you any immediate work will try to give you a bit of advice and the contact details of anyone they know who IS recruiting. Or that's what I have found. A good attitude and a willingness to start at the bottom and learn are very good selling points for you.

You can also try these 'sites (if you are not already aware of them):

Arbjobs.com | find Arb jobs / Tree work

Overview - Arboricultural Association

Complete Tree Care Arboricultural Recruitment

Horticulture Jobs - for Garden Centre Jobs, Landscape Jobs, Arboriculture Jobs & Gardening Jobs

Arboricultural/Arb jobs.

Igneous Recruitment - Job Search | Corporate Social Responsibility Jobs | CSR Manager Jobs

Good luck :thumbup:

Im on outskirts of newport in caerleon, I can't do anything until sept as childcare issues my youngest goes full time in sept hence why im going in for the course then it just would not be practicle atm as im currentley doing three school runs a day it would cost a fortune in childcare and not be viable right now but come sept things will be different when he goes in for a full day.

I do know a few tree surgeons one used to live in my street but moved to pontypool his web is ben up a tree he used to be a lecturer at usk college and i think he is a lantra trainer but i have not seen him in ages to be able to speak to him i used to have wood chip off him for my chickens for their runs i am going to speak to him soon im not sure if he will be able to help or point me in the right direction i did bump into his dad the other week and mentioned i wanted to speak to him .The others i know work the railways clearing the lines and are also self employed but again i have not seen them for ages either i guess these people should be my first point of contact then .

I was cutting some wood that had been felled on a mans driveway the other week as a friend asked if i could have it for firewood and the man i was cutting it for asked was i a proffesional as obviously i had all my kit on etc and when he was told no but told i am looking at doing my cs30&31 his response was well when she has done them let me know because he runs one of the main civil engineering companies based in newport and said he occasionally gets site clearances etc that he has to call people in to do and would be happy to hire me in so was happy with what he saw of my logging...which to me was fantastic and nice to know that people would be willing to employ me, but if i am able to start from the bottom and learn through experience i think thats the way forward really starting with getting my tickets .

thanks for the info janey will add all of those to my favourites now ready for sept which im sure is going to come around so quick ,im hoping ben may be able to help me out as everyone i have spoken to have all pointed me in the direction of him and as you have suggested try people who are in that line of work first thanks for the advice all :biggrin: