Arb training advice for 19 yr old son

blazer

Steve - just spotted you are from Largs, I was working there in 1974'ish on Inverkip powerstation, doing the 400kv switches in the substation and another 1/2 way up a mountain. Bit cold in the winter sitting astride steelwork with an ear full of snow but used to drive around the lovely area in the spring time:thumbup1:

Fair pay Blazer, going for CS30/31 at 61!

Glad to see that you were having kids at forty, a route that i am currently taking :biggrin:.

What your lad needs is to be as useful 'on paper' as possable. I would try to get him qualified so that he can be the 2nd man in a two man team.

CS30, and he can use a saw to dice up what someone else has felled (or dismantled).

CS38, he can do aerial rescue.

Emergency 1st aid, and he can patch his workmate up as required.

CS31, 39, chipper tickets, trailer licence, etc, etc, can wait (after all, he's only 19).

Edited by Bolt

Sorry I'm a bit slow replying - busy at weekend ( more time when at work)

Steve didn't work on the chimney site, just the erection of the substations then off to Brazil to build substations in the interior, built up alot of experience but no set 'tickets', which shows how you need set qualifications.

Still it makes working on say fallen boughs safer by knowing from 'tapping' ground branches to find if they are taking the load, also with winches etc alot safer, being able to estimate the forces involved and have safe procedures to pass on.

Yep Bolt CS30/31 at 62, my main worry was not doing the course but being older then the other x3 students put together, but luck had it they were 30-40 yr old. I plan to retire at the end of the year, and see what goes. It was usefull doing my cs30/31 first so I could run through it for Iain - we covered all the practical parts for him on Saturday on the estate. He's got his in July, then work his way through your recomendations.

Good luck with having kids at +40, it really fills out your life - bit frustrating at times but overall it's more enjoyable as they get big enough to build up some 'dad's & lads bonding' did the same with my daughter now 33.

the only bit that will get you is when you are doing the fit dad bit biking up a steep hill breathing hard when, they peddle past you one handed texting.:001_huh: