Conservation area squirrel run.

Hairyloon

I have been approached by a lady who has squirrels nesting in her son's bedroom.

It seems they are getting in through the eaves via a tree branch.

The suggested remedy is to remove the branch, but the tree is in a conservation area.

So, the question is: does the indirect hazard of disease from the squirrels make the tree dangerous enough to remove the branch without awaiting permission?

shoot the bl**dy squirrels - I normally pop-off 200 per yr with a high of 400.

There's no such thing as 'a' squirrel - there will be 6-10 of the little blitters that know the route.

If the tree is fairly isolated use 'Fen traps' at the base of the tree with a cover over, to protect from cats, observe the route used by the squirrels, or bait another area to the fen traps.

shoot the bl**dy squirrels - I normally pop-off 200 per yr with a high of 400.

Built up area: not an option.

If the tree is fairly isolated use 'Fen traps' at the base of the tree with a cover over, to protect from cats, observe the route used by the squirrels, or bait another area to the fen traps.

They don't mind the squirrels in general, just don't want them in the house.

Had a few in our roof space. Trap them and then shoot them in a controlled manner. Then plug up the hole that they are getting into! Worked for us. By the way, if you are putting down bait in the trap, use bounty bars or snickers! They love them!

Before you know it there will be lots of humping and loads of them running about, then comes the damage and there noisey buggers too. :biggrin:

I've done one before i waited for perrmission as tree had tpo and even then i was limited to what i could do. So trap them and remove might be easier as squirrels will just take a bigger run up.

I had a friend with a squirrel at the bottom of his garden - being a shooting, type shot it, and again - by the end of the summer he shot 12 +. In one wood I couldn't believe my luck full of them shot over 40 - then another 40 till over 100 shot. Thought I had cleaned them out, none about last summer but went back when the snow thawed and shot 12 in a couple of hours. I shoot them for songbird conservation & my dogs like squig for supper.

The tree is within a conservation area therefore will require permission from the council if any pruning is to be carried out. There are certain exception to the act but i dont think this is one. Ring up the TO , explain your clients problems they may even let you do it with out application if your nice!

Which Act is it that covers this?

The Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (TCPA) & the Town and Country Planning (Trees) REgs. 1999.

There is an exemption under the TPO for 'abatement of a nuisance', whihc would apply equally to trees in a Cons. Area, but the nusinace needs to be 'actionable', incurring a direct loss etc. and I'm sure this probably wouldn't be relevant, more particulrly as the tree cannot, in legal terms, be deemed to be casuing a nusiance to its own property (I thnk!)

Hence a Sect. 211 notice and await upto 6 weeks, or sooner if LPA says 'no objections', to remove the branch. (IF you have a very nice, understanding TO, as I was, and it involves minimal works whihc don't significantly affeact the amenity or vitality of the tree, and they have empathy, they may allow you to proceed as 'deminimus works'...trouble is that facility don't exist in the legislation, but it's worth asking.)

Good luck..

Paul

The Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (TCPA) & the Town and Country Planning (Trees) REgs. 1999.

I thought conservation areas were earlier than that. :?

However, the The Town and Country Planning (Trees) Regulations 1999 gives an exemption for: "5© the pruning, in accordance with good horticultural practice, of any tree cultivated for the production of fruit;"

It is I believe, some sort of damson.

Granted, up to now it has not been cultivated for fruit, but that is no reason not to start. ;)