Remove or Reduce open to thoughts

3dogs

As i said in my first post the tree is in generally good health odd bits or dead wood and a limb that was lost due to wind shear about two years ago probably due to the removal of 6 mature sycamores in the neighbouring garden. Since then I've been asked twice to go back and look at the tree usually after we've had high winds, the home owners are generally concerned about the limb failing. I did on the last visit install a line and climbed the limb and as you would expect i found the usual that you would expect but nothing that I would be unduly worried about and i passed my thoughts onto the client, there are signs of rippling due to compression but that would be expected due to its growth.

In view of having evidence to support an application for removal as i clearly said there isn't any this is where my dilemma lies. As for supporting my customers with regards to the limb failing i can understand there concerns they have already lost one limb and to be honest if i where to edge my bets this will be the next to fail and when it does the damage will be considerable.

I will simply leave the decision of what works should be carried out to the T.O.:thumbup1:

i would remove the whole tree or leave it alone and cobra brace the limb in question. horse chestnut do not like being wounded at the best of times let alone a wound the size of what that would leave. i would bet money if you take that limb off you will be back to clear up the whole tree as its failed in a few years :thumbdown:

I got a job exactly the same as this on a TPO Aesculus. At first I thought it was the tree ive got.

We applied for a limb removal even though i had told the client that this was not a good idea due to the large wound it would leave but there was evidence of the limb slowly dropping from the crown.

Exactly how i imagined the council declined the removal of the limb and thankfully we have permission to reduce the limb by up to 3 meters and to thin some material out. This should at least reduce weight and leverage enough to buy some more time. I imagine they are gona want this done every 4-5 years.

The home owner isnt as happy with this decision but understands that they have little choice other than appealing the councils decision but we have told them that this would be a wasted effort.