An AAAC question for Paul

Ian Flatters

Let me just start by saying this isn't a AAAC go for it or a AAAAC not worth going for thread so please don't turn it into one.

My question is simply what real weight does the scheme give you? I've seen it in the yellows and whilst talking to two of my clients about the extreme costs they charge (yellows) i mentioned the little AAAC bit. The 1st didn't have a clue what it really ment and the second said i saw that and assumed they would charge me the earth.

This followed on in both cases them asking who the AA were and are they like 'Gas safe'. When i responded no not at all there an association and have no government weight like a 'gas safe' program does. One then went inside i think kind of confused but the other raised a valid point to why would anyone pay money for a sticker that only you other tree men would understand? (i apperciate this gets asked a lot)

Just something i've noticed recently more so as i have been looking at the smaller contractor criteria. I know of a few firms near me that i see doing a higher level of work than a couple of AAAC firm. Not saying that the AAAC firms are doing anything wrong. Surely you should be aiming to get these guys on board so ifs its being sold as an achieved level in arb why are they not knocking your door down to get on the scheme? Is there some kind of loss in the marketing of this to show them the bonuses for joining it (i know you mentioned the scheme is recognised by some other recgonised schemes).

A bit of praise

I appreciate and am very grateful the AA have also listened to the smaller masses too and have started to give a level playing field stopping the bigger 5+ man companies having some of what i awlays though of as an unfair adavantage.:001_tt2:

I do intend to apply for the AAAC scheme when i feel my company is in a suitable position to gain from its scheme in the future.

I hope this reads ok,:confused1:

Ian

Let me just start by saying this isn't a AAAC go for it or a AAAAC not worth going for thread so please don't turn it into one.

My question is simply what real weight does the scheme give you? I've seen it in the yellows and whilst talking to two of my clients about the extreme costs they charge (yellows) i mentioned the little AAAC bit. The 1st didn't have a clue what it really ment and the second said i saw that and assumed they would charge me the earth.

This followed on in both cases them asking who the AA were and are they like 'Gas safe'. When i responded no not at all there an association and have no government weight like a 'gas safe' program does. One then went inside i think kind of confused but the other raised a valid point to why would anyone pay money for a sticker that only you other tree men would understand? (i apperciate this gets asked a lot)

Just something i've noticed recently more so as i have been looking at the smaller contractor criteria. I know of a few firms near me that i see doing a higher level of work than a couple of AAAC firm. Not saying that the AAAC firms are doing anything wrong. Surely you should be aiming to get these guys on board so ifs its being sold as an achieved level in arb why are they not knocking your door down to get on the scheme? Is there some kind of loss in the marketing of this to show them the bonuses for joining it (i know you mentioned the scheme is recognised by some other recgonised schemes).

A bit of praise

I appreciate and am very grateful the AA have also listened to the smaller masses too and have started to give a level playing field stopping the bigger 5+ man companies having some of what i awlays though of as an unfair adavantage.:001_tt2:

I do intend to apply for the AAAC scheme when i feel my company is in a suitable position to gain from its scheme in the future.

I hope this reads ok,:confused1:

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for your post and for raising a very good issue (thanks also to Tully for supporting it.)

Marketing and awareness of both the AA and the 'ArbAC' scheme, particularly in the domestic sector, is a very big challenge for both the Association and it's members / 'ARB Approved Contractors'. Unlike in the commercial / LA sector the fact we now dual award with the CHAS scheme (and hoepfully soon to do so with SAFEcontractor) has raised awareness and recognition significantly, this means nothing in the 'home owners' world.

A medium-long term strategy would be to allow the industry to slowly, or 'fastly', adopt and support the AA & ArbAC such that more and more arborists / contractors made reference to, or displayed logo's of, the Association. Then, I believe, these people would become more aware by simple association, in the same way, I would suggest, that most people are aware of CORGI / Gas Safe...well certainly that's the case with myself.

Hence when your prospective client enquired whether 'ArbAC' is a 'Gas Safe' equivalent for tree care, you could have replied by saying yes, in terms of customer care / h&S / work standards and arb knowledge, but it is an industry based scheme, although not regulated by central government like 'Gas Safe' is, it seeks similar objectives and reassures the client.

IN terms of "what real weight does the scheme give you?", principally this is about recognition, and accreditation, by a credible industry body that your business is operating in accordnace with industry good practice and regulatory compliance. AS I mentioned elsewhere previoulsy the process of working towards implemneting the standards, and then going through the audit and assessment, improves businesses. Those businesses whihc have a structured and systematic approach to managing H&S are equally likley to do so with other key aspects of businesses management, i.e. finances / marketing / employment stuff etc. and hence make them more robust and 'recession proof'..I believe (and of course less likley to come unstuck if challenged).

I wholly agree there are lots of arborist out there doing (very) good work, 'day in / day out', and clearly meeting the work quality standards of the scheme, and, I believe, many would like to have independent approval of such but hold back for reasons unknown. The 'small business' assessment process is very much 'outcome' driven, i.e. competnet and safe work site plus quality tree pruning and planting using well maintained machinery and equipment and with a reasonable level of underpinning knowledge (NOT a formal qualification) and is NOT about deatiled paperwork systems, written policies procedures and documents.

Sorry, I'm concious I'm rambling (AGAIN!) so I'll stop and let you post back any more specific comments / concerns.

BUT I wholly accept the AA needs to get (much) more savvy when it comes to marketing and promotion.

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Thanks for the post.

Where can we find more info on the small firm AAAC.

Hi Tully,

See here Become an ARB Approved Contractor, scroll down to 'Here to Help', and then select the 'technical standards' (blue link button) which will take you to the Standards, a word doc. (attcahed), scroll up then for the summary.

Wish this wuz easier to find..

Good luck.

Cheers..

Paul

SchemeStandardsUpto5(v2).doc

I know your challange is to gain awereness through expansion is the key and like i've said in other posts i respect the AA and how they are making a change. Although i do have a final question which when looking at a contractor in the east which has changed is still AAAC although the company was tupied over (only the employees) and all the kit was sold. You might call it a buy out of such. How come they stay a AAAC? surley a lot of things have changed during this process? How do you ensure in this case that they are still at AAAC standards? It would be the same kind of princable for a small AAAC which say was using 2 freelance climbers that passed your criteria then moved away. So 2 new climbers come on board are there work standards as good as the other 2 and how would this be managed?

Just something that came into my head when i bumped into some guys i know today.

I know your challange is to gain awereness through expansion is the key and like i've said in other posts i respect the AA and how they are making a change. Although i do have a final question which when looking at a contractor in the east which has changed is still AAAC although the company was tupied over (only the employees) and all the kit was sold. You might call it a buy out of such. How come they stay a AAAC? surley a lot of things have changed during this process? How do you ensure in this case that they are still at AAAC standards? It would be the same kind of princable for a small AAAC which say was using 2 freelance climbers that passed your criteria then moved away. So 2 new climbers come on board are there work standards as good as the other 2 and how would this be managed?

Just something that came into my head when i bumped into some guys i know today.

HI Ian,

The key factor here is that the previoulsy nominated, and approved, named manager is still in place and, I think, they are still operating from the same premises. However, in part in light of the depth of changes but coincidentally they were due anyway, there is a full reassessment schdeuled for said contractor in a couple of months when ALL standards will be rechecked and the position reviewed (I am positive though!)

The '2 climber scenario' you mention is a fundamental change that would trigger the requirement for a reassessment to be undertaken. More often the question posed is that of climbers / staff changing where the manager stays the same, in this case a reassessment would not be undertaken as it is the 'manager's' responsibbility to ensure standards are upheld.

Hope this answers your question okay.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Have to go now but will check back tomorrow so please post back if needed...no worries!

HI Ian,

The key factor here is that the previoulsy nominated, and approved, named manager is still in place and, I think, they are still operating from the same premises. However, in part in light of the depth of changes but coincidentally they were due anyway, there is a full reassessment schdeuled for said contractor in a couple of months when ALL standards will be rechecked and the position reviewed (I am positive though!)

The '2 climber scenario' you mention is a fundamental change that would trigger the requirement for a reassessment to be undertaken. More often the question posed is that of climbers / staff changing where the manager stays the same, in this case a reassessment would not be undertaken as it is the 'manager's' responsibbility to ensure standards are upheld.

Hope this answers your question okay.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Have to go now but will check back tomorrow so please post back if needed...no worries!

Thats cool. I was just wondering how you keep the levels up (now i know). Im also quite sure they will pass quite comfortably as they did during the re-assessment when I was doing some tree palnting for you.:001_rolleyes: Well its good to know that you are re-assessing as needed and deemed.:thumbup1:

Thats cool. I was just wondering how you keep the levels up (now i know). Im also quite sure they will pass quite comfortably as they did during the re-assessment when I was doing some tree palnting for you.:001_rolleyes: Well its good to know that you are re-assessing as needed and deemed.:thumbup1:

Thanks Ian.

Under the 'new' regime we will be reassessing far more frequently, effectively 'every other' year, i.e.:

Year 1 FULL criteria reassmt.

Year 2 (CHAS only, if applicable)

Year 3 PART criteria reassmt.

Year 4 (CHAS only, if applicable)

Cheers..

Paul