Is there any reason why I can't use a Whoopie sling as a cambium saver

Arghshh

Firstly Yale Whoopie Slings are not rated for PPE and should not be used as PPE. I was sent this picture by our dealer in Japan showing how they install and use Cambium Savers, they requested extra long cambiums which we now have made specially for them.

[ATTACH]58391[/ATTACH]

I'm not a climber, but seeing this cambium saver begs the question< Are there plans to sell longer ones in this country?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah rope guide is made by ART and does cost some £££..

I see this thread going the same way some have gone before.

'What are folk thinking of suggesting other climbers climb on non CE marked kit? At best case scenario it would potentially invalidate your insurance in the case of an accident. Home made stuff isn't tested to any industry standard and may be assembled incorrectly and could fail.'

'It goes against all of the industry guidelines and a decent LOLER inspector should point this out ! (see LOLER thread started by Andy Collins) It should be possible to climb using loads of rigging kit but its not tested or constructed for PPE Jees guys what are you thinking recommending this to folk ? '

So by this you are saying that all handmade splicing should be stopped even if we have been trained?

I had a CE splice on an old Yale inferno fail even before i climbed on it as the rope had clumped on the inside under the pressure during the splicing process. With a handmade splice you know how it has been put together and understand how it works.

With a factory splice you know its been made under extreme force by machines and have no idea what the inside looks like.

I would say the same applies to making PPE (i.e cambium slings etc). If it has been made in a way that you understand how it works and components are rated then surely there isn't a problem.

Some climbers use accessory cord for friction hitches. Accessory cord is not sold as PPE but to hold accessories. This doesnt stop them selling it shops as prussik cord.

With a factory splice you know its been made under extreme force by machines and have no idea what the inside looks like.

I would say the same applies to making PPE (i.e cambium slings etc). If it has been made in a way that you understand how it works and components are rated then surely there isn't a problem.

Some climbers use accessory cord for friction hitches. Accessory cord is not sold as PPE but to hold accessories. This doesnt stop them selling it shops as prussik cord.

your points are valid Tully, but dont change the point the poster was trying to make that your homemade devices could potentially invalidate your insurance.

Yeah rope guide is made by ART and does cost some £££..

I see this thread going the same way some have gone before.

'What are folk thinking of suggesting other climbers climb on non CE marked kit? At best case scenario it would potentially invalidate your insurance in the case of an accident. Home made stuff isn't tested to any industry standard and may be assembled incorrectly and could fail.'

'It goes against all of the industry guidelines and a decent LOLER inspector should point this out ! (see LOLER thread started by Andy Collins) It should be possible to climb using loads of rigging kit but its not tested or constructed for PPE Jees guys what are you thinking recommending this to folk ? '

So by this you are saying that all handmade splicing should be stopped even if we have been trained?

I had a CE splice on an old Yale inferno fail even before i climbed on it as the rope had clumped on the inside under the pressure during the splicing process. With a handmade splice you know how it has been put together and understand how it works.

I'm not slagging anyones points but I agree with yours, I'm twitchy about using a climbing rope with a factory spliced eye, I feel safer on my own tied bowline because I know I tied it and tied it properly, I pull other peoples knots out and redo them before climbing on a system.

As I say I appreciate everyones input, it looks like I've opened a can of worms that have been opened many times before?

Surely the same reasoning behind us been trusted to tie correct knots whilst working could be applied to us using gear correctly, even if it is hand made.

I know it currently doesn't but just doesn't seem to make sense.

Surely the same reasoning behind us been trusted to tie correct knots whilst working could be applied to us using gear correctly, even if it is hand made.

I know it currently doesn't but just doesn't seem to make sense.

you have to consider that these regulations are in place to take into account the inexperienced user who might for example hear about splicing on a forum and go out and try it out themselves following online instructions.

Not every one is competent!