SaS SRT

Rob Murf

not trying to be picky as its largely irrelevant, and its great to constantly use different systems, but....

i bet it takes more than 7 seconds to set the srt system up compared to wrapping on a footlock strop!

id like to see a video of this in operation, i keep meaning to get myself an srt setup, im quite unfamiliar with it.

Thats cool Steve.I am not a great footlocker and as i am approaching 50( climbing 20 years) and have hurt my back am looking for more efficient ways to climb As Tom D said. I don't feel the need to speed but do see it as an indicator of efficiency.

Mostly we do climb smaller stuff i am at present working on a avenue of elms that have been " lopped' and hacked by power line clearer's.Rarely use SRT but i like to be stretched.That what guys like Scott do ,we save most of our big jobs for him and i mostly ground when he's around , but i learn heaps!! life long learning .Scott said he appreciates the feedback and is at the moment replacing the croll with a "mini trachion" (or some such) for more security. Will video in September when he comes back over.Probably be a different again then!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about that 40cm shock absorber Rob??? Take pics of how the system is anchored next time around. Any absorber in rec or industry is normally at least 400cm once activated.

Not sure about the reason for putting the black lock on the Pantin - except to stop the rope flicking out. A small krab in the hole underneath the cam will do the same job.

I understand where you are coming from on efficiency. But the kind of efficiency I'm focused on is ergonomic. But I'm at an advantage regarding my education in that department, so I understand not all in industry are likely to be up to speed.

The reason I promote the Frog Walker, is that its a good all rounder

- low risk

- Simple

- ergonomically efficient

- Quick

- Easy to don and Doff

- Easy to store.

- Versatile - with spurs, through air, through dense brush, against the trunk or against branches. You can't see it clearly in the vid, but the tree was plastered with ivy.

At a glance. the issue I have with SaS technique is an opportunity for quite a fall onto a second ascender requiring an energy absorber. If that activates, it could be just as bad clattering off what you just climbed past - better to negate it altogether. Dean mentioned retaining the rope in the shell with a krab as avery important point.

The second is upper body efficiency - it seems the climber has to hold themselves upright?

Third is, with the trees we have round here, I'd get the pulley and lanyard system fouled.

There could be issues with the minitraxion in this department too - it is very important to study how items interact with the rope in a factor 1 fall.

Its great SRT is being considered and discussed. For me, like Tom and DMc, the point is increased bio-mechanical efficiency and safety. If we start counting seconds in an industrial environment, over time we could be sorry.

Saving seconds here and there does pay off in the long run...otherwise we'd be back to using crosscut saws and not using Silky handsaws.

Time isn't the only savings. Years down the road when wear and tear from body abuse catches up climbers may look back and wish that they had taken better care of their one and only body. If any climber doesn't think this is true, ask me. In my mid-30s I spent a summer at the chiropractor getting my back squared away. At the same time I started on the path to taking better care of my body. Now, at 54 I don't regret spending any of the money or time learning more efficient systems.

The resistance to SRT increases as the climber gets older. Climbers under 30 are excited, interested and most often incorporate SRT as SOP in tree access. Some go the whole package and figure out how to work a tree using RADS or the Unicender. By 40 there is more skepticism. By 50 there is little interest and SRT is met with some pretty heavy dismissal.

Well I am 38 and have tried SRT for the first time this year and I do like it, mind you I quite like footlocking although it kills me physically it's also something I have not done until this year.

...when someone has been handling ropes and been in the trees for 20 to 30 years, you shouldn't have to beat them over the head with a good idea. For them it should be obvious.

The argument I run into the most is the "if it's not broken, don't fix it", but the ease of access using SRT should at least be experienced before being dismissed.

Dave

Dave,

Are you going to attend the PNW ISA conference in Boise at the end of September? I'm doing an SRT workshop and a talk on Arborist's Ethics. I'd really like to meet you there!

Quote from LaZ

Its great SRT is being considered and discussed. For me, like Tom and DMc, the point is increased bio-mechanical efficiency and safety. If we start counting seconds in an industrial environment, over time we could be sorry.

Im pretty sure it the petzel "absorbica' fully open 1.6m.But will get pics next time.

The lock on the pantin is great( much easier than fiddling with a crab).I think that its not there originally so as not to be used as life support.

The SaS give five points of attachment, 2 gloved hands( not technicaly life support) 2 ascenders( life support) and one pantin(not life support). this definitely helps this old climber overcome his resistance to climbing on string!!

Yep i have fouled the elastic cord on pulley, when was not so familiar the system.

I think Scott said the strop on the basic was short enough to keep any fall below Factor 1

As i said before its very aerobic as u use both upper and lower body at a high rate ..must be fit :bored:

Dave,

Are you going to attend the PNW ISA conference in Boise at the end of September? I'm doing an SRT workshop and a talk on Arborist's Ethics. I'd really like to meet you there!

Tom, So Sylvia and I have talked about this and would love to go. Especially seeing as Boise is her home town. (She claims to remember Julia Davis park when it was first established. :scared1:) Being as it is 100 years old, me thinks she is exaggerating.

Dave

Dave,

Boise is one of the rare cities that actually has a city ordinance banning tree climbing unless the climber is rescuing a Frisbee, kite, model airplane or cat. This is soooo funny since Boise=tree hahahaha.

I have pics of me climbing trees in Julia Davis park with the ordinance sign in the picture. The devil in me...hehehe!

I sure hope to see you in Boise!

No videos...

I'm using the newest version of the Unicender with a tether that Rich Hattier and I have worked out.

For ascent, Uni, left adjustable foot strap, chest ascender and Pantin for right foot. TreeFrog is the best!

There are pics at TreeBuzz in a couple of Unicender threads.