tenex splicing

jeepster

Hi all. Am trying to splice tenex. I have been using the Samson web site for the splicing instructions. Seems to be the best one. I can do a standard eye splice. As in the pic below but would like to find out how to make a shorter splice. For eye n eye Fritch cord. Just a note: it seems that all of the instruction say when make the measurements you should use a fid length. But witch one? They are all defend lengths. Do you use the one that you use to splice with?

If any one has any good sites, books, or help. If would be grate.

Thanks all

PS: yes i know the eye splice in the pic it not finished..

DSC00721.JPG.bced761aab84db0aa785bbf5dcc2ed6c.JPG

thanks for the link Master B. he has a grate video on his web site. this is the link of anyone else.

http://www.splicesbynick.com-a.googlepages.com/videos

its a real help. and peter you are right. it is the wrong splice. im guessing to make a eye and eye prussik cord, you just have one locking brummel eye at each end?

thats my afternoon sorted. GRATE :001_smile:

Hey Jeepster

There's nothing wrong with the splice that you've shown, in fact of all the tenex eye splices this is the strongest but requires a bury of 2 fid lengths.

Generally speaking a fid length is 21 times the rope diameter, so 9mm tenex with a locking brummel would stilll require 1fid buried (i.e. 180mm). For some folk making eye to eye slings this has been a problem for some reason (which I'm not sure why) so they have halved the length of the bury making a less bulky sling. Obviously this runs against the manufacturers instructions so if there were ever a problem then I would suspect the splicer to be, potentially, in a rather compromised position.

I personally found the Selma fids that you have from Norway to be a pain to use. We're using a mix of hollow braid & Swedish fids along with wire fids & occasionally splicing wand. The hollow braid fid are by far the easiest for tenex all round.

Cheers

Nod

PS When I finally get my head out of my thingy we'll have an area on the website for all manner of splicing tools & sundries. We have good stock now but I just have to get around to furnishing the webman with images etc.

cheers for the info mate. will see you at the APF.. got a lock jack clutch that i need to swop for a spider jack clutch. if you have one in stock. it would seem there not the same. will you have splicing tools at the show?

Nod beat me to it.

You can reduce the buried tails (when you lock the splice) and i have the break tests to confirm that they still break at high loads.

Before you start to tinker with the splice instructions make sure you understand how and why a splice works

Jamie