Lightning Protection in Trees

Mac McLennan

Anyone know anything about this.

It is quite common in the states, but I am struggling to find info on the subject relating to trees in the UK.

ie.

Any tree firms offering the service.

What quals do you need for installation.

Who are the trainers.

BS Standards relating to trees.

Thought it might be another string to our bow.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about this.

It is quite common in the states, but I am struggling to find info on the subject relating to trees in the UK.

ie.

Any tree firms offering the service.

What quals do you need for installation.

Who are the trainers.

BS Standards relating to trees.

Thought it might be another string to our bow.

Haven't had any experience myself, but I have seen first hand the work at Kew on the Chestnut leafed Oak, (Q castaneifolia) and the Redwoods.

Try giving Roger Howard a ring at Kew.

I'll pm you his contact.

Haven't had any experience myself, but I have seen first hand the work at Kew on the Chestnut leafed Oak, (Q castaneifolia) and the Redwoods.

Try giving Roger Howard a ring at Kew.

I'll pm you his contact.

That would be good....Cheers

Done it a couple of times in the states in 1998/9 so quite some time ago. From what I remember of it I installed 3 terminals at the three highest points in the crown (I mean as close as humanly possible to the tips but on a sufficient diameter branch). The three terminals had copper wire running down to the main stem where they met and then were run down in as straight as possible line (as electricity takes the path of least resistance). The wire then went underground to an earth pole several meters from the base. For this a narrow trench about 1m deep was dug, with the aid of a stump grinder where possible, then filled back up.

I seem to remember the system being invasive because copper 'U' nails were used to tack the cable to the tree so not sure if it is still practised that way or not.