Decay extent of Inonotus hispidus on Malus

David Humphries

Was having a chat today about Inonotus hispidus on tree host other than the usual of Ash & Plane.

Got me thinking of this old thread from a few years back.

Interestingly, although I've since come across I hispidus on other trees including Beech and Sorbus I've yet to see it again on Malus.

It's also interesting that I'm now of the mind that if I saw this again today, (5 years on) I would more than likely not remove it.

Funny how perceptions change with time.

image.jpg.05dbb5da82ab6e4de2589b11fdc0085e.jpg

Was having a chat today about Inonotus hispidus on tree host other than the usual of Ash & Plane.

Got me thinking of this old thread from a few years back.

Interestingly, although I've since come across I hispidus on other trees including Beech and Sorbus I've yet to see it again on Malus.

It's also interesting that I'm now of the mind that if I saw this again today, (5 years on) I would more than likely not remove it.

Funny how perceptions change with time.

But the removal of the crab apple was based on the extent of decay, versus useage zone, not just the fact it has a bracket?

Reduction or regular re survey? Is this the alternative? Also I'm sure staff levels must play a part in the over all decision?

Thanks for digging it out again

This particular tree was in an old Victorian orchard within what is now a public park.

The area gets a walk over inspection every 12 months.

Would possibly/probably have been proscribed a height reduction.

Which is more than enough for a small fruiting, habitat tree like this one with decay issues, IMO.

So when you felled it, you were probably right to, looking at the pics of the rings. it wouldn't get looked at for another 12 months, and only a walk past so the brackets may not be picked up next time, also it may not be you doing the survey. That's where continuity of staff is a problem. Cheers

So when you felled it, you were probably right to, looking at the pics of the rings. it wouldn't get looked at for another 12 months, and only a walk past so the brackets may not be picked up next time, also it may not be you doing the survey. That's where continuity of staff is a problem. Cheers

Continuity of staff is not a great problem for us.

I had been looking at that particular tree on a daily basis since October 1985,

as it was about 50 yards from my office :biggrin:

I do get and agree with your point.

But I don't believe felling it was the only option.

An additional control around this and the neighbouring trees is that the site gets shut when the wind starts getting to the 50 mph threshold