making tool store from old oil tank

daveindales

Have got hold of an old 6x3 metal oil tank and intend to turn it into a secure chainsaw store. bit of cutting here and a bit of welding there. If anyone has any thoughts on making it as secure as possible, let me know. Or has anyone used this method before?

No, i won't be wiring it up to the electric. just got that one in before someone suggested it.:001_tt2:

Guest Infinitree

Hi mate, used an old oil tank to make storage boxes on my tipper-they were really straight forward to make.

Make sure you utilise all the existing edges and corners of the oil tank so you don't have to weld so much-obviously.

Security wise-Maybe use a gun safe lock and bolt it onto something!

-Rob

Sounds like a great project.

Looking at an existing large site box.

The top & half the front lift up, like an inverted L. The hinge runs along the top back, so when the box is bolted down against a wall its difficult for somebody to get to the hinge, which can be a weak point. This design gives good access to the shelves inside. Also the edges of the lid have a double lip (use 2 bits of angle or U section steel) so it overlaps the box inside & out, so even if somebody peeled back an edge its secure. Struts to hold up lid, or car type hydro to counterbalance weight.

All internal faces reinforced with angle.

Locking mechanism too difficult to describe, but basicaly a sliding steel rod locked in place.

Small reinforced vents near base & top to prevent build up of heavy petrol vapour (you dont smoke do you).

Lastly (as I have mentioned on this forum before) the dangers of cutting, welding or grinding on tanks that have held hydrocarbons. Fill with water as high as possible to the cutting point.

I know of a case of a welder killed working on a small oil storage tank even after people had been inside & pressure hosed it. The oil ADSORBS to the surface of the metal & is released by heat