Roads conditions in scotland

ukminch

My dad and i have got sledges in our defender in case we get stuck. Got allsorts of stuff in the back as well. Never needed it yet (touches wood). Weve only used the sledges once. But then again we have used the defender and a 1.5 ton sled.

I've been doing my bit for my comunity by clearing the footpaths to the corner shops. Gonna be going around in my tractor with the bucket on the front clearing the COUNCIL owned car parks as nothing has been done. Only gonna do it after the hunt meets tho.

FYI tractor buckets and clearing ice. You can't see grids or raised flags or anything. Until you've clattered them, bent something and flipped them out the ground. And hit the windscreen!

We have the winter contract down on the seaforth docks container terminal in Liverpool. We spent 6 hours with a small tractor, a bigger one and a bobcat all with ordinary buckets. The bigger tractor driven by my dad hit a grid with the edge of the bucket. He must have been doing 10-15mph and the tractor stopped dead. Took a chunk out the manhole cover and flipped it 6ft! The bobcat also managed to lift out a manhole cover. I was a bit more cautious but still hit a Grid. You don't half think oh bejeeus what was that!

My advice, stay slow. Keep your bucket at a shallow angle so it's not trying to dig under stuff, almost level with a few degrees of bite on it is sufficient, it's easy enough to figure out. Just drive with it until it clears everything after you've adjusted it.

I had to do a block paved area with the little tractor. Keeping it nice and shallow meant it cleared ice and snow but didn't try to lift any stones!