Tree work for the Global Good

RobArb

Knowing what little I know, i have formed basic opinions of this industry we work in from reading articles, journals, parts of my course etc etc etc and is it a case of ignorance is bliss?

I've been reading parts of the UK Forestry Standard and its got me thinking about sustainability and how trees are intrinsically linked with global sustainability. Tree work for the global good is an interesting view basically stating that forestry and arb industry (the fact we are responsible for the day to day care of trees forests and woodlands) is charged with the responsibility of protecting the interests of the planet. This is indeed a high charge, however, succeeding in this requires (IMO) changes from the ground up. Our industry would have to meet these global needs by excelling in our duty of care and operating sustainable and responsible practices.

I know that forestry and arb are in theory two different industries with forestry producing timber for mainly commercial markets where as arb is, well arb! but both can learn from each other in my opinion to increase profitability and sustainability e.g not sending arisings to landfill, using the chip for mulches, biomass etc, wood carvings on site (if appropriate), firewood, fencing, habitat piles, ecology and conservation.

I think we need to consider the economic, social and environmental factors of everything we do.

I'm only discussing MY opinions on this as today (and yesterday) we've been to a job on a council estate. The job is to take down a large (55-60ft) ash which is probably over a hundred years old:sneaky2:. Now the couple who want the tree down live in a privately owned ex council house they bought 9 years ago. The tree in question is in the back garden of their next door neighbours house which is still council owned and rented out. They been trying (apparently) for the past 8 years to get the tree removed? Why, i hear you ask? Because the tree blocks light to their garden in the summer when they are hosting barbeques!!! When they bought the house was the tree not there already?? This kind of links in to the other post i made about legal nuisance to...

Anyway my point is this tree is, sorry was, healthy, sustained life other than that of itself, was a nice feature in a back garden that could cope with the size of it and in my opinion was doing nothing wrong, yet the Council and the TO have given in to the couple and the tree is being removed without anything being planted in return... where is the sustainability in that??:confused1::sneaky2: Is it really a case of ignorance is bliss or do the masses need educating or am I just on a one man mission to nowhere..:blushing:

Thanks Harmony, some valid and constructive points there from yourself. The sustainability of the planet charge, was what i interpreted from the UK Forestry Standard, having not read ALL of it:blushing: i may have interpreted it incorrectly.

On reasonability and affordability, in my opinion i don't think the two are against sustainability and responsibility. I have seen good, affordable and reasonable practices within other industries that do work and co-exist along side each other, i don't think its too hard (or unreasonable:lol:) to have a myriad of things wotking together efficiantly.

As far as today's tree went, being a wannabe ecologist and part time tree hugger:, i think i was just gutted for the tree over the clients needs, when i felt the clients needs were unreasonable:sneaky2:. It didn't actually stop me doing the job though as i can't afford not to work haha! doh! what actually got to me was that it wasn't there tree and the tree existed first, again a case of legal nuisance i think!

So all in all i think you did make valid counter-arguements but we don't live in a perfect world and you can't please everybody, but it would be nice to try:001_cool:

or am i just being an optimist/idealist?