Increasing Tree and Shrub survival rates and growth with mycorrhizae

Dan_Symbio

The introduction of commercial myco packs, or other microorganisms should be considered in terms of adding nonnative organisms to an environment. Perhaps commercial products are adding species that are non-native or not of a strain suited to the environment? IS there also a possibilty of adding (dangerous) unknown organisms with these commercial packs? Think about the transmission of prions causing BSE between, and within, species. Will one day we do the same with commercially prepared microorganisms?

Since we should be thinking about using locally adapted organisms, why not make our own? Arborist have access to huge amounts of wood chips. By mixing composted and fresh woodchips, of numerous species, and spreading these on the forest floor you will get an innoculation of organisms over time. If the forest floor is raked and the chips are laid over a screen that is laid on bare soil, the chips will be easily retrievable. Further the raked litter can also be incorporated into the chips.

The use of composted and fresh chips will allow basido- and asci- mycetes to thrive as well as organism not from the Fungi kingdom. The addition of easily "composted" materials such as grass, oats, bran, horse feed etc. will further expand the range of species that innoculate the mix.

Large quantities of chips can be produced this way. They are then available for introduction to soils, planting holes or innoculants for woodchip rings.

By creating these innoculated woodchips as close as possible to their intended "home" you are adding locally adapted and perhaps micro-site specific oganisms, not only mycorrhizae. A "free" and biologically method to help trees (when needed).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The introduction of commercial myco packs, or other microorganisms should be considered in terms of adding nonnative organisms to an environment. Perhaps commercial products are adding species that are non-native or not of a strain suited to the environment? IS there also a possibilty of adding (dangerous) unknown organisms with these commercial packs? Think about the transmission of prions causing BSE between, and within, species. Will one day we do the same with commercially prepared microorganisms?

Since we should be thinking about using locally adapted organisms, why not make our own? Arborist have access to huge amounts of wood chips. By mixing composted and fresh woodchips, of numerous species, and spreading these on the forest floor you will get an innoculation of organisms over time. If the forest floor is raked and the chips are laid over a screen that is laid on bare soil, the chips will be easily retrievable. Further the raked litter can also be incorporated into the chips.

The use of composted and fresh chips will allow basido- and asci- mycetes to thrive as well as organism not from the Fungi kingdom. The addition of easily "composted" materials such as grass, oats, bran, horse feed etc. will further expand the range of species that innoculate the mix.

Large quantities of chips can be produced this way. They are then available for introduction to soils, planting holes or innoculants for woodchip rings.

By creating these innoculated woodchips as close as possible to their intended "home" you are adding locally adapted and perhaps micro-site specific oganisms, not only mycorrhizae. A "free" and biologically method to help trees (when needed).

Good sense here!

I would certainly prefer to take the route of a carefully prepared mulch over innoculation...Its a long way from free though is it? In fact, I still prefer a woodchip mulch over most other methods of root zone amelioration given the option.

Cheap, simple, effective.....:001_tongue:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been travelling for a couple of months so I have little time to read and reply. I notice that the original poster, who is selling product, has not responded. I would be very curious to hear his response to my posts.

If you read the attachment that Bundle attached you will see that spores were infecting the sterile soil mixes and had to be controlled. I think that this is more indication that "healthy" soils do not need commerically prepared mycorhizae.

Mrtree - hi, whereabouts are you in the country?

I trade under the name Mr Tree (in Worthing, Sussex) and just want to avoid confusion if youre nearby - If, indeed you use your tag as a business name?

Shane (another Mr Tree)

• 2 weeks later...