Increasing Tree and Shrub survival rates and growth with mycorrhizae

Dan_Symbio

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, but been on holiday in sunny spain!

mycorrhizae are often blended with a small quantity of low phosphorus organic feeds or biostimulants to provide an initial kick start to plant growth as well as to complementary soil biology. For tree planting, it is counter productive to include a high volume or strength of fertiliser due to the need to put the product as close to the roots possible and the fact that high concentration fertilisers can inhibit mycorrhizal growth. When used for treating amenity turf however, mixing mycorrhizae with fertilisers can be an effective vehicle for re-establishing mycorrhizae as well as providing nutrition, as the intensive physical management, disturbance and compaction of amenity surfaces is very antagonistic to the maintenance of healthy mycorrhizal populations and they regularly need to be re-established

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I know I would be buying the exact species specific endo or ecto mycorrhizae for the relevant & specific associated Tree host community ?

Interesting thread! I'm convinced we should pay more attention to symbiosis in our tree management, but these are exactly my thoughts, David.

For a couple of years now, I've been looking into these mycorrhiza-preparations and I always see the same Glomus species pop up in the different commercial preparations. These are fungus species that would even form mycorrhizae with a rock! As Hamadryad, I would prefer to respect the specific natural tree-fungus symbiosis. (alltough I guess this is not as interesting commercially as 'one prep fits all').

I didn't look it up yet, but apart from that, I would like to know if all these species are indigenous in the UK (or Belgium, in my case) and if they are, in which ecological balance with other species they occur. Now that we've messed up everything above ground, I would not like to do the same below ground.

Just expressing my thoughts, I'll dig a little deeper in the information Dan provided (Thank you for that, Dan).

Kind regards,

Tom

Regarding the use of broad - spectrum inocula; whilst it would be desirable to be able to select exactly for individual mycorrhizae relating to the individual species in its specific environment, it would be a commercial non - starter with the possible exception of a massive monoculture in a stable and regulated environment. The mycorrhizal species used commercially are ubiquitous and for the most part are being added to disturbed, polluted or in other ways damaged soils to kick - start secondary successional plant growth where you may otherwise have none - certainly not in the short term anyway. There is evidence to suggest that the ecology of the soil microflora adapts with time under the influence of the macroflora and localised environmental conditions including a natural substitution of the added mycorrhizal species with those more suited to the specific and changing microenvironment. So it seems that we have limited ability to influence soil biology in this way in anything other than the short term.

This thread shows the lack of thinking about how trees grow naturally. Trees don't need innoculations of mycorrhizae if they are planted in healthy soils (mine tailings are not healthy soils).

A few thoughts.

1) If trees are grown in nursery soil and are B&B they are likely already infected with mycos

2) seedlings grown in sterile soilless mix may not have myco relations but they can occur by spores in the air

3) if you are adding myco packs to help planted trees you need to think about the soils first

3a) if your soil is lacking mycos then adding commerically produced mycos is wasting money. If the soil does not have myco's then it has major problems that need to be solved

3b) if the soils are healthy then by definition they have myco's already and adding more is not going to be productive

4) healthy soils contain a variety of mycos and other organisms, Not only are they many species but likely they are well suited to the site.

5) if soil is not healthy you need to think about how to make it healthy. Consider aeration, introduction of organic matter, particularly composted and new woodchips as they contain complex (lignin and cellulose) organic matter, introduction of soil microbes and higher organisms and creation of a functioning soil.

6) if you are adding myco's to unhealthy soils how will they support themselves in the long term? In urban yards where every scrap of organic matter is raked and removed there is likely little use to add myco's since they will not last long

7) if you are concerned about innoculating new trees with mycos you can add a mixture of composted and new woodchips and a couple of shovel fulls of soil from below a healthy tree to the planting hole.

8) commercial myco packs may contain more fragments of hyphae than viable spores

The bottom line is healthy soils do not need commercially produced myco innoculations

Good thread! I havent had any experience in boosting myco's in the soil especialy with trees. Although i do know it has been attempted to grow truffels by planting trees inncoculated with the right fungus. I see the term healthy soil being used alot... and i reckon it depends on your point of view as to what a healthy soil is.

I reckon the application for recovering arable land is a good one. These Heavily fertilised soils that have seen repeated years of mono crops do not contain the same mycro's as mixed crop sites on the basis that because the soils are heavilt fertilised there is no need for the tree / plant to form a relationship with the fungus as it has no trouble getting all the minerals and such that it requires.

Perhaps it could be an aid to monocultural forest plantations.... any links to any papers showing that boosting myco' levels in the soil of newly planted trees reduces the risk or mortality???

I recenlty read in an issue of New scientist that a study indicated that plants including trees could some how communicate through mycorrhizal conections....alerting each other of fire, disease, arborists and any other threats

....showing that boostng myco' levels in the soil of newly planted trees reduces the risk or mortality???

Get in touch with Glynn Percival at Bartlett Tree Experts. I have attended one or two lectures/presentations in which this topic (young trees) were discussed. Establishment lead to consideration of the use of mycos...I wont attempt to rephrase the intended meaning...Glynn will, I am sure, be perfectly approachable and would probably answer your query in this regard!

Tim.