From the shoebox

PeteB

I remember haven a barrell of laughs in the floods out near the 11 arches in Loughborough. I had a sherpa van, drove through with both doors slid wide back and a massive wake behind me. Some numpty came the other way thinking he could make it in a little hatchback. He got my wake which went right over the top of his car. I didn't stop to find out if he made it through being the ignorant little git that I was. The piccies bring back a few memories of rabbiting over on the fox covers and watching the soar burst its banks.

I remember haven a barrell of laughs in the floods out near the 11 arches in Loughborough. I had a sherpa van, drove through with both doors slid wide back and a massive wake behind me. Some numpty came the other way thinking he could make it in a little hatchback. He got my wake which went right over the top of his car. I didn't stop to find out if he made it through being the ignorant little git that I was. The piccies bring back a few memories of rabbiting over on the fox covers and watching the soar burst its banks.

had a similar experience a few years back, but it was a police car with the window down:blushing: was i going to go back to see if they could swim? no way:thumbup:

Englebert Humperdinks place? Is that the one in Earl Shilton or on the southern edge of Leicester? I'm sure I used to mow the grounds of that place. Mighgt not be the same place though.

You got it, Corby Glen, south of the town. He wasn't there tho!

It always does flood out on the Meadows (11 arches) in Loughborough, and at Barrow on Soar. 98 was a bad year for it, possibly the worst I've seen it since 82 when I moved there. At that time, one of the trucks I ran was an Iveco 35.10 4x4. I drove it through floods near Kegworth (by the planks for those that know) and someone video'ed it from Kegworth Bridge, the water was well up the bonnet with a nice bow wave and then it started to get to the end of the water - it was only then that the watching masses realised how deep the water really was! as this big wheeled truck started to rise up out of the water!

I've some pictures of the truck and the floods - but they are in another shoebox!

Corby Glen, That's the place. Used to mow it for Charnwood tree surgeons. Always on the look out for grass snakes in the compost heap. And he was neverr there when we did the mowing, was starting to wonder if the boss was just feeding us BS :001_smile:

I remember the floods at Keggy too and out at Zouch. Fortunately I missed the floods in 98 as I was on a plane to NZ or already here. I miss driving through those floods and being waist deep in water over at the big meadow. Spent many happy years swimming in the soar as a kid but the thought of what it might have picked up on the way past the tip is frightning. Coates always seemed to get the worst of the floods along with Barrow on Soar. Ahhhh memories eh.