SRT Setup

DrewB

IMHO, there are flaws in assessing risk and applying dependable controls in some of these responses.

It is down to each company to assess the risks of their own undertaking, and justify their own control measures.

It also means accepting the severe consequences of getting it wrong.

Regulations and industry 'Good Practice' guides (not appropriately named - as the twin ascender accident proves) cannot possibly cover work site risks and specific applications of a safety system.

My advice - learn the FACTUAL fundamentals and limitations of ALL the items in your safety system, and research if they are safely compatible. What may appear a fully functional back-up, may not work in reality, if the limitations are not properly researched.

A true back-up is a totally separate system and anchor. Unfortunately these are practicable exceptions rather than a rule for tree work.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Redundancy and backup are two different ideas.

Backups are needed in conjunction with each other to be complete.

Redundant systems work fully independantly of each other.

Be VERY careful about thinking that backups being required. If so, then every friction hitch needs a backup to itself. Is this necessary? Is it desirable?

Tom

At the end of the day if you don't want to back up your system then don't, if you want to climb on one ascender then do.

Your life, your choice. Just don't squash your groundy when you land :001_tongue:

Just be careful how you word stuff as there are people coming into the industry green and are learning tech tips from Arbtalk. Hence the balanced veiw and opinions. :thumbup1:

Industry best practice for the novice is the way to go.

It is put in place as a guide, we all know we don't always stick to guidelines. Infact everyone on here has broke industry guidelines probably every day. :sneaky2:

That is my point Mr Lofthouse - two ascenders as used in the Frog are 'back-ups' to each other.

Two fully functioning ascenders in line on a single line - not one.

No need to back-up two ascenders with a friction hitch.

I am always careful how I word stuff. I think you need to polish up your reasoning.

[quote name=

Industry best practice for the novice is the way to go.

. Infact everyone on here has broke industry guidelines probably every day. :sneaky2:[/quote]

You seem pretty sure about that Dean...rules and regs are not there to catch folk out but more to warn of the dangers involved, often derived from experince :thumbup1:

You seem pretty sure about that Dean...rules and regs are not there to catch folk out but more to warn of the dangers involved, often derived from experince :thumbup1:

:001_tongue: You an angel Bundle??

Always had your second attachment point when making a cut.

Never used the top handled on the ground. :001_smile:

Saying that two ascenders in line on a single rope needs further back-up, is not being informative. Its mis-information, and that causes confusion.

There is no 'Industry Best Practice' that says two ascenders on a single line need a friction hitch back-up. Even in the Guide to Good Laughing Practice.

I can only assume you are talking about the Kong twin ascender set-up???

Saying that two ascenders in line on a single rope needs further back-up, is not being informative. Its mis-information, and that causes confusion.

There is no 'Industry Best Practice' that says two ascenders on a single line need a friction hitch back-up. Even in the Guide to Good Laughing Practice.

I can only assume you are talking about the Kong twin ascender set-up???

I'm not getting into a slanging match with you :thumbdown:

You have obviously read and taken my post totally the wrong way.

I am talking about using two "open throat" mechanical ascenders as in the second picture of the subject post.

Open throat can and does allow rope to slip out, cams can jam open

My ascender jammed open, if one mechanical ascender can do this two can. So that is why I use two different types not two of the same.