Bigger voice for the industry?

arb culture

Firstly, this is brilliant - the AA and the ISA trying to work together, it's very good to see. And if this results in a some kind of formal arrangement, then that has got to be good for arboriculture.

Ian, I know the FC have a long, and very good, history of working with urban trees, but the problem is that there is no formal or properly acknowledged inclusion of arboriculture. I have a vague memory of funding being pulled from a major FC headed urban tree disease monitoring project - which was followed by a petition to 10 Downing street. The reply from Government was something along the lines that the FC should not be allocating its resources to amenity tree care. This reply would not have been possible if there was a formal inclusion of arboriculture in the FC's remit.

I agree with you that the name is not really important, the disciplines of arboriculture and forestry are highly interchangable, especially in urban areas. So although I share John's desire for a 'tree commission', I think changing the remit of the FC to include arboriculture would suffice.

Paul and Ian, I'm sure there are others who would be far better suited to the task, but if this is a cause you want to run with, I'd be happy to help. Paul, I'll send you an e-mail just in case you don't get this post.

Hi 'Arb Culture',

Organisations working to the common good is the way forward as you say (sorry that sounds like a politcial party manifesto...just not me, but you know what I mean)

A while ago an 'Arb Liaison Group' was set up with all intesrted parties inc. AA & ISA contributing but I think it's gone quiet at the moment. Perhaps this is an ideal opportunity to 'stoke it up'. I'll speak with Nick (Eden, AA Director) and we'll contact Ian and try to work out a way forward follwoing Ian's advice on this one.

Thanks for the prompt and offer of support/help, Ill keep you posted (PLEASE can you email me direct [email protected] so I have your direct contact details...many thanks!)

Cheers,..

Paul

After all the AA and ISA etc don’t speak for the majority in arb but they are so up them selves they think they do. :001_tt2:

You wouldn't be suggesting that your opinion is representative of the majority of the industry would you? Because if you were, I'd expect you to fall on your own ridiculous sword...

What you mean (or all that you can mean) is that these organisations don't speak for you. Of course that doesn't sound quite as dramatic does it?