Cord wood NEEDED, Hertfordshire

TreeBoi

Oh yes, ooops forgot the price. Those kinds of volumes you are probably looking at a cost of around GBP 99.99 per cube so that'd make a tonne a little under GBP 400.

Jayvee, I think you will find he wants to buy it unprocessed and make the profit himself.

Look back at some of the earlier firewood threads, 23-27 tonnes seems to be a 'load' if you can get it, however at this time of year you are more likely to be able to buy a tipper full of rocking horse poo!!

Ringing around the tree surgeons might be your best bet at this time of year

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are more likely to be able to buy a tipper full of rocking horse poo!!

Like that one. I'm going to plagiarise that one without any shame whatsoever.

As you so aptly describe, looking at that weight he wants to shift at this time of year, he might be best off trying to import the stuff. But that's a whole new kettle of fish that is.

Seasoned hardwood, loose one cubic metre will weigh approximately 250 kilos. So if your mate is looking to buy 50 tonnes worth of the good stuff you are looking at around 200 cubes of wood. Put those in a standard 40 foot container and you'll need about 4 of those containers and change.

Your mate is looking at some serious volume.

I find I land fairly consistantly 1.5m3 of loose logs bagged from every ton of cord wood and about 50kg of sawdust. I retail on the internet and our courier weighs the bags and they are always around 600kg which fits in with my yield volume per ton. The logs are 100% hardwoods.

I've never dealt in softwoods but believe they deliver around 2.25m3 per ton of cord wood. So a m3 loose logs in this instance would weigh in at around 375kg.

For those looking for cordwood at this time of year Chandlers just offered me 300 tons of firewood grade oak but I don't like that species due to it's poor split volume (I see around 1.2m3 per ton) and longer seasoning time so I declined.

Edited by baz

For those looking for cordwood at this time of year Chandlers just offered me 300 tons of firewood grade oak but I don't like that species due to it's poor split volume (I see around 1.2m3 per ton) and longer seasoning time so I declined.

Baz, What price were they asking?

1.2 m3 per ton doesnt sound right to me???? do you not split anything that has a knot in it at all??

umm i thought that, is it because BAZ is wanting the lightest weighing wood to volume out of it and so doesnt want Oak as it weighs heavy?? so going for what Sycamore?? although i note he states hes shipping at the moment chestnut and cherry?? on the website

umm i thought that, is it because BAZ is wanting the lightest weighing wood to volume out of it and so doesnt want Oak as it weighs heavy?? so going for what Sycamore?? although i note he states hes shipping at the moment chestnut and cherry?? on the website

hmmm, good point mrs/mr log baron!! i was going to point out that maybe an extra weeetabix in the morning could give baz some extra axe swinging strength, therefore increasing his 'yield' :thumbup1:

hmmm, good point mrs/mr log baron!! i was going to point out that maybe an extra weeetabix in the morning could give baz some extra axe swinging strength, therefore increasing his 'yield' :thumbup1:

It all comes down to maximising your return, when you buy by the ton and retail by the m3 why opt out of choice for one of the densest slowest drying woods that there is? It's possibly different for those that get their wood as free waste where boots can be filled irrespective of the species. I'm sticking to maximising my margins as no customer is going to pay by weight or provide a price premium for oak over ash, sycamore, birch or beech that all split to a larger volume. For me, 300T of oak would be a lot of hard work, longer storage with no meaningful profit at the end, a pointless exercise that probably couldn't afford the weetabix.

As for question relating to the pricing Chandlers runs at, it depends on how far the lumber is transported. I never got around to finding where the logging was happening so don't know what your price would be but will likely be in the £45 to £50/ton range dependant upon distance. There was 300T of oak about to be felled and up for grabs last Friday so there should still be some of it available to those who can turn it to a profit.

Makes sense to me. You should consider flushing your browser cache more often to be up to date on our and others web sites though. It's also a good practice measure that helps to keep adware and malware beasties in check.

Makes sense to me. You should consider flushing your browser cache more often to be up to date on our and others web sites though. It's also a good practice measure that helps to keep adware and malware beasties in check.

what? the only thing i know how to flush is the toilet? what the hecks a browser cache:blushing: thats probably why our websites down at the moment?:confused1: