What would be a fair price for chipping?

Gnarlyoak

It depends what you have to chip and what chipper you have.....small chipper=longer job but less running costs...bigger machine = quicker job but costs to suit. I want in the region of 200/ day if ocal and the material is clean.

Bear in mind that to hire a 6" tow behind from A-plant will cost 180+VAT for a day....

It depends what you have to chip and what chipper you have.....small chipper=longer job but less running costs...bigger machine = quicker job but costs to suit. I want in the region of 200/ day if ocal and the material is clean.

Bear in mind that to hire a 6" tow behind from A-plant will cost 180+VAT for a day....

That's because they're not interested in short term hires. Most people in the industry will be paying £60-70 a day for a 6inch chipper for the day

R

Quite agree. I can rent off other surgeons for 80+vat down here (not that i need to mind- although i did rent a tracked machine not so long ago- the vermeer is a little large to drag into a soft woodland!)

I was pointing out their price as that ought to be taken into consideration when working out a price for you and machine for the day...

Have you got to hire the chipper to chip someone elses job? Or is it a job you're going to do/have done and want to work out how much you'll get charged for someone to come in and chip?

R

Yes Rob, its the latter!

Sorry peeps, perhaps I should have been a bit more explicit but was thinking I would spare you all the boring details. In hindsight though from your thoughts and advice I should explain the circumstances that are behind my question.

I am part of a community project cleaning up a local blot on the landscape. I am an active member and one of the driving forces behind the project and providing my time and arb skills for free. We are accumalating a growing amount of brash arisings, from thinnings and prunings, and its becoming impractical to keep adding it onto existing "habitat piles".

As part of the project we are proposing to plant a community fruit orchard and British native hedgerow during National Tree Week at the end of November. So we would now like to chip all arisings which would then be recycled on site to mulch the new plantings.

I work as a freelance climber so don't have a chipper of my own to use, but I do know how to cut and stack me brash. So it will all be clean and stacked properly, ready to be just fed through and chipped on site. Plus I have the skills and experience to assist as well, so it would be pretty much easy money, and they would be paid on the spot on completion.

So now I'm trying to weigh up what method would be most cost effective, hire a chipper for a day or get a man in. Hence my original question, what would be a fair rate for a couple of hours chipping a pile of brash!

Cheers,

Edited by Gnarlyoak