Kent Free Trees Scheme

Tom2020

This scheme offers individuals and organisations up to 25 native trees each, free of charge. All you have to do is collect them, plant them and care for them as they grow.

It is easy to apply for your free trees, and make your personal contribution to Kent's natural environment.

World Garden owner Tom Hart-Dyke is urging everyone to stake a claim for some of Kent's free trees. Mr Hart Dyke, whose family own the World Garden at Lullingstone Castle, near Sevenoaks, praised the Kent free trees scheme for promoting native species. Hear what he had to say on this video.

Why are you giving trees away for free?

Trees have a positive effect on the landscape and biodiversity of Kent's towns and countryside. The planting of trees in our local environment improves health and wellbeing long term. By planting 25 trees, up to 7 tonnes of CO2 can be absorbed in their lifetime.

What are the trees like?

The trees are two-to-three year old 'whips', typically up to 1metre tall. They may be supplied bare-rooted. Twenty-five trees will easily pack into a bin bag and fit into the boot of a car. The trees can be planted as single trees or used to create a woodland, copse or hedgerow.

How do I apply for my free trees?

The 2010 Free Trees Scheme is open from 12 July, with a closing date for applications on 30 October 2010. The trees will be ready for collection at the beginning of December.

Our leaflet provides detailed information about the available trees and how to apply and you can download the leaflet (PDF, 1.3mb). Once you know more and would like to make an application please download and print the application form (PDF, 42k) and return to the address shown.

Kent Free Trees Scheme

Im in a really Tree mood today

Firstly, I do think handing out trees is great, and free trees are all the better. They are fun to plant with the kids, make the area look better, give shade for picnics during bar-b-q summers, and even provide work for future arbs....

but why do people always drag CO2 into it :confused1:

By planting 25 trees, up to 7 tonnes of CO2 can be absorbed in their lifetime.

Once the tree dies, all the carbon gets released back into the atmosphere.

surely all tree planting "carbon warriors" do is store up problems (if CO2 is a problem) for our kids.

If you have something againts CO2, stop burning fossil fuels, its the ONLY way way to affect human related atmospheric CO2.

(but where is the fun in that)

(BTW, this is in no way knocking Tom2020 :thumbup:, just the whole stupid carbon thing)

Once the tree dies, all the carbon gets released back into the atmosphere.

When you say all Do you mean the last 100years worth

Asking as i don't now why :blushing:

People bring it in as Most people our now aware of the co2 So you say that and people think (oh thats good i can do my bit for the world)

well, here is how i see it...

Trees (or plants in general) breathe in CO2, use the C bit (carbon) for making tree, and breathe out the O2 bit (2 bits of oxygen).

If bits fall off the tree, like leaves, twigs etc... they rot down, and this process (that requires oxygen) gives off CO2 again. And this will be tha same amount of CO2 that was absorbed to make the twig, leave or whatever in the first place. Once the tree has grown, died and all rotted down (or got its self burnt) ALL the carbon will have got combined with oxygen and re emmitted.

I suppose if you use the wood for making funiture (I guess something like church pews would be best) the carbon would stay tied up for a few hundred years more, but this is hardly the big picture as far as the "planet" is concerned.

Plant trees cos you like planting trees :thumbup: not to make people who drive SUV's feel better :001_smile: