Training - Any help appreciated!!

NoviceAl

Hi Al, Im in swansea and there are three places to my knowledge for the practical, the best is a company called pro climber in abergorlech ( just behind llandeilo) and he is out and out the best, then you have colleg sir gar (camarthen college) who i did mine with which are ok but cheaper but not by much. And finally is pencoed college which is near bridgend.

As for theory based learning there is very little down this way as far as i know. I have been looking to better my theoretical knowledge and distance learning is the only way I could find anything worth studying. If you just want to learn more about it all then you have hit a gold mine of info here to be fair to the boys :thumbup1:

Im still fairly new to it all and its a job where you wont stop learning till the day you retire I think!

Good luck and if I can help with anything let me know

Hey Lyndon, thanks for helping me out. I've sent a few emails out to training providers and have so far had replies from Kingswood ( Kent ? ) and Pro-Climber which you have mentioned. Both so far seem really good but obviously I'd need something closer to home so I think Pro-Climber is winning so far. You are spot on with the knowledge on this forum and I find it awesome that people are willing to help!!. Hopefully I'll be able to get my foot on the 1st rung soon. Hope you don't mind me asking, Which courses have you completed so far then mate and how long in total did it take?, I'm just wondering coz' I've got to fit it into my shifts!. Cheers fella.

No problems, to be honest I would go straight with andrew in proclimber. I did my cs30 &30.2 (basic maintanance and cross cuting) which was 2 days and then I went back 2 weeks later to do cs 31 (felling small trees) which was 3 days. The course is normally a five days but if you give them a call and explain your shift patterns they will sort something out.

Im waiting to do my cs38 & 39 around november which I will be doing up there. As for theory im just sucking up whatever I can off anyone who is willing to teach me:biggrin:

Just having a career change myself. Look in JSP 534 and 752 to see what you can squeeze out of the services. Your unit have an eduaction budget too so don't just rely on the grant we get. Use your annual allownce for exam fees and your ELC for the course. Don't forget you have to stump up 20% contribution so go for the expensive ones first Unfortunately the army wont let you keep what you don't use so calculate everything to the last penny to make sure you get full whack. Examinations for a professional body can get extra financial assistance from another budget so play it clever. Talk to your UPO, Resettlement Officer and search on line so you don't spend a penny. The services will help! :thumbup:

Hello all,

new on here so please have a little patience with me!. I need some info on courses and hope some of you may be able to help me,

Firstly, time constraints. I'm currently employed full time on a 4 shift on, 4 shift off pattern. I do this 7 times then get 18 days off. This gives me time for study though I have to squeeze it inbetween 2 toddlers & a wife working shifts as well.

I left the Army 5 years ago but still have an allotted amount of money from them that will pay for training courses. The courses can only be classroom based or home study/distance learning, i.e, no practical training but I'm very lucky enough to be working and can pay for that aspect myself.

I need to know what courses I can get the Army to pay for ( i.e, the most expensive ones! ) and which courses an absolute novice/beginner with no experience would best suit me. I live in South Wales ( Nr. Swansea ) and could quite feasibly do a day a week in college if there are any good providers down this way.

Much apologies if these Q's have been asked before and thanks for taking the time to read this and an even bigger thankyou if you spare a minute to reply!.

Al. :confused1:

You will still have a ressetlement officer alloted to you so use their advice - it is what they get paid for. See previous reply for more info :001_cool: