24Km march across the beacons, any advice?

TArrryan

I would happily do smiler, unfortunately the new forest is devoid of mountains and work consumes a fair bit of time, however today's venture has proven to me I am fitter than I first thought although I still have a long way to go. Fortunately I have always been very accustomed to mountain climbing and find it very natural.

being only in my second year of business I will have more work this winter than last year but I'll still have big gaps, I'll use this time to train like hell!!! I'll be in my element too with the cold and rain too cool me as I get hot very fast.

Thanks once again for everyone's advice and support, both you guys/girls wont be forgotten on the hills when the day comes !

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have a good plan and are preparing well. I have some experience (did a 40 miler in the Lakes in just under 10 hours) with prep-work. You wont do yourself any harm in a yomp around QECP and Butser Hill on the A3 in Hants to develop the muscles for climbing and decent work. You should give it a go as the South Downs offer similar terrain!

Best of luck!:thumbup1:

Thanks armybloke, I have family near the south downs, I could always stay with them over a weekend and use the opportunity to get a bit of map reading practice done. I won't need to do much on the actual day, I can remember the route across the fans and down the Roman road easily enough (Ill still have a map) but map reading is fast becoming a lost art!!! have a semi-photographic memory with maps :thumbup1:

I have thought Of a nearby valley with a rough track way running down one side and up the other, I wonder how effective running up and down the valley would be? Might be good on days when I lack time.

I have just noticed you are quite literally across the water from me :thumbup: mind if I asked who you served with in the army? Millitary life makes me very curious, almost joined myself but failed on the team work tests!! a shame as I easily passed all other tests, even scored in the top 5% of the country in the BARB test!

Replace 'Oh no' with ohhh yesssss!!!! I know exactly what to expect up there in terms of terrain, I was atop Pen-y-fan the week before last and had a good look at it, looks like my ideal weather as well. If you think I'm taking all this very lightly then believe me when I say I expect hell up there!! It wont be easy or painless. however I prepare for the worst but maintain high spirits :thumbup: its no good trying to do something unhappy and depressed!

hmm I have just weighed my bag again and its a little heavier than I first realised, seems I must of made a mistake weighing it, it was 42Lb not 30lb!!! I'm only 18lb from the 60 :thumbup: I was pleasantly surprised although Ill be removing the extra 12 for training at the moment.

One little conundrum though, I'm having trouble to decide what to wear when I'm training, I want to do it while wearing the same gear I'll be wearing on the beacons (boots, trousers, shirt etc) but I have mother in the other ear complaining that I should be doing it in shorts and trainers. Any advice is welcome, would a middle ground like a vest and trousers with light walking boots be ok?

One thing mate... I was training for the Para 10 a couple of years ago and overtrained. I ended up with a stabbing pain behind my knee whenever I tried to mount a step etc... basically I overtrained one side of my thigh muscle which pulled my kneecap out of alignment. Just make sure that you get some mixed training in... I ended up fixing it by doing leg extensions but only the last 15 degrees.

Weight train your legs in advance of walking with a pack to avoid injury. Do stuff like skipping to build up all the supporting muscles. Mix in a lot of different stuff. Hydrate a lot during your training and in the run up to the day and don't peak too early. It'll take you 20 minutes to warm up... maybe park half a mile down the road and walk up to the start at storey arms nice and easy. Maximum pasta the night before.

Other than that don't forget to puke up when you cross the line. It's the rules.

I have just noticed you are quite literally across the water from me :thumbup: mind if I asked who you served with in the army? Millitary life makes me very curious, almost joined myself but failed on the team work tests!! a shame as I easily passed all other tests, even scored in the top 5% of the country in the BARB test!

No prob - REME and still in. Done almost 30 years and only 2 to go til civvy street. Long story but they need some expertise that can't be taught overnight to a new boy so easier to keep me than transfer the knowledge. :thumbup1: