Failure of the Anne Frank Tree

sean freeman

I think many aspects of this particular Trees retention need to be weighed up, before any thought given to how this reflects on the pros & cons of Tree management in general.

Your are quite right David, for very obvious reasons there was a great deal of emotion tied up in the tissues of this particular tree....and I certainly was a vocal supporter for its retention from the distant shores of Australia.

I wasn't trying to drive the conversation anywhere I just know how this will be presented by some over here, and suspect similar monochromatic interpretations might play out over there.

I am genuinely sad that it failed but glad noone was hurt in the process.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely crystal Sean, my comment is not aimed at anyone (I'm sure you know that), just a random aimed at what will no doubt be a tirade of "I told you sos" that all involved will no doubt incur.

This is more than just an immotive tree retention.

There is a much bigger picture at play here, that's not singularly about, religion, politics, persecution, safety, reputation.

I'd imagine the corridors of the up and coming AA conference, will be buzzing around this.

Some people (NTSG) will be quite uncomfortable right now, as to how the media plays this out, and what impact that will have on the thought processes of the Insurance & Safety sector.

Thought provoking thread Sean :thumbup1:

Lets not beat about the bush hear, that was too much sail and wieght density to be retained over a faulty stem, chestnut is notoriously poor at dealing with decay fungi, particulary the likes of australe and polyporus squamosus. Even sound chestnut is brittle, let alone with the embrittlmnent of old age, add rot......

i cant open the folders at the moment, but will be keen to get the real ins and outs on this one, seems to me this was gambling the future of veteran retention.

im sure there is as much "oh sh...." being felt as sadness.

Mate...i dont think this was as much "arboriculture" as a response to the "outcry" over the order to remove the tree 3 years ago.

A case of heart ruling the head. I wouldn't read anymore into it frankly! These phenomena are apparently known as "Witness Trees"

Mate...i dont think this was as much "arboriculture" as a response to the "outcry" over the order to remove the tree 3 years ago.

A case of heart ruling the head. I wouldn't read anymore into it frankly! These phenomena are apparently known as "Witness Trees"

The tree had too much wieght for a faulty stem, period....

no ifs, buts whens or maybes, and reading nowt more into it than that at this time.

The loss of this tree is sad, I totaly agree, but the implications to veteran retention are 100 fold more important.

the work done should have reflected THAT risk, as much as any other.

Just a quick update regarding the failure of the support frame.

Apparently this frame was not bolted to the screw piles but rather welded to them and it seem from what can be seen in the pics that those welds (if they were actually effective welds) failed completely.

The frame consequently did not perform according to its design intent.

I expect that those who provided documentation to the courts were careful to be precise about the limitations to be applied to their opinions regarding the future stability of the tree.

But what use are WE as "experts" to the public if we get them to pay us a small fortune to do whatever work and it fails?

whats the point in offering to save a tree if you then say well you cant get back to me when it all goes pete tong?

if your builder said well i will build you this house, but if the back wall falls out, well mate, dont call me eah!

No wonder "other industries laugh at us"