Arb Courses and confusion

Ricky26wales

Hi guys, made a few posts here before about employment on the other thread. Just been thinking as I've been trying for more than 2 years to get in with an Arb team and not getting myself anywhere, tried ringing the numbers from the yellow pages,applying for jobs online and sending a fair few emails with CV included and still in the same place. So frustrated and almost wanna give up but it's whatI really want to do. I thought that maybe doing some college course within Arboriculture will make me slightly more employable/knowledgeable than I am at the moment and i'd have something more to offer as now I only have NPTC 30-31 and 38-39 which I payed for myself. I've just read too much I think about Arb courses and wouldn't mind some advice off people in the know. I'm not really interested in becoming a Tree officer or anything managerial. I just want to learn more about trees in general and to learn more about Arb machinery and also to have some hands on experience during my course. The downside is though, I feel that if I was employed doing an Arb course would be alot easier and i'd be able to put new skills to the test during working hours. I've read about apprenticeships which i'd love to do but can't find anyone to give me even part time work. Just wondered what Arb courses would be suitable for someone like myself, I don't want anything too difficult or to jump in at the deep end as I woulnd't enjoy it as much perhaps. Anyway, hope this is clear what i mean and cheers for any replies. And might aswell get it on here, anyone in or around North Wales need a hand with any work paid or unpaid give me a PM. Cheers

Ricky,

You could consider the 'RFS Cert Arb' (Royal Forestry Society 'Certificate in Arboriculture'), a recognised level 2 (craftsman) acedemic / technical qualification to compliment your existing NPTC quals. It's very well recognised in the industry at the craftsman/operative level and would/should improve your knowedge of trees and arboriculture generally. Not sure about the machinery side of things though, probably that's more hands on or agric mechanic(ing) course.

The RFS Cert Arb can be self study, via Hort Correspondence College, or worth making the effort to a land based college I would suggest to then allow for net-working opportunities whihc may bring some work, or at least some good suggestions, your way.

Good luck..!

Post back if you want any more info (to be sure I catch any 'post back' easire to go via AA forum box as then drops straight to my 'in-box'.)

Cheers..

Paul

there is also the national certificate in arb which is a recognised level 2 qualification. you may also want to concider the ND in arb which is a level 3 qualification. arent their still the 10 week courses about aswell?

Hi,

There are still ten week courses available at several colleges across the UK, I know for sure that Merrist Wood have the course available and that it is highly regarded. Those that have been on the course say it is alot like the ND but condensed to 10 weeks.

Alternatively there is the Tech Cert, this is a one day a week course, so you can still work, yet does involve some after work/evening research, coursework and general study. This is better, in my opinion, then the 10 week course.

If not, aim for the ND Arboriculture, practical studies combined with lectures.

Hope this helps,

Callum.

Hi guys cheers for the replies. I've read about the 10 week course but as I have some NPTC courses already and have some experience would it be the right choice? It sounds more like an introduction into arb/tree work. I might have it wrong though, I read about it a long time ago, also the area that I live doesn't have that course, i'm not really in a situation where I can pick up and leave for 10 weeks. The college is only about 30-40 minute drive. Can you start straight onto the ND Arboriculture course, or would I have to have some lower grade qualifications to get onto it? I think 1 day a week course is great if your employed wthin arb but as now i'm not I was thinking of something a little more full time. But not everyday as I do have work (as a window cleaner) just to get bills paid, at least i'm getting used to being at heights, thats about the only similarity between the two. I was also thinknig that if I was doing a full time course and then I found an employer would I be able to change it to one day a week? Pretty confused at the minute, there are loads of courses that all sound pretty similar. Thanks for the replies.

Ricky,

The ND Arb (National Diploma in Arboriculture), or Technicians Certificate in Arboriculture, are both level 3 quals., full-time & part-time respectively, but both usually require either the National Certificate in Arb or RFS Cert Arb as an entry level qual.

I still think, from what you said originally, the RFS Cert Arb or ISA Certified Arborist, another very well recognised course of study (usually home study I think), would be your best option at this stage...just my thoughts!

The contact on an arb course at your nearest land based college, as i mentioned, would hopefully open up networking opportunities which may lead to at least some work hopefully.

Paul