Sycamore fail lucky no one was under it.

robert t

but the other outlook is that if you fell the tree then you substantially lesss of a hazard than leaving a mono, personally i can see why the LA chose to remover the tree , im sure there were plenty of shap jaged edges from there the union failed... .

It it was left as a mono, even to just above the crown break, the risk of faulure would be minimal for many years to come. The original failure point was not the base or the trunk, after all. And as for those nasty evil splinters... The opportunity for play and education far outweighs any PERCEIVED risk that a bit of rough wood may pose in this ridiculously risk adverse age off ours.

It it was left as a mono, even to just above the crown break, the risk of faulure would be minimal for many years to come. The original failure point was not the base or the trunk, after all. And as for those nasty evil splinters... The opportunity for play and education far outweighs any PERCEIVED risk that a bit of rough wood may pose in this ridiculously risk adverse age off ours.

i do agree with your points but ridiculously risk adverse socioty that we lie in agree , it is sad that we live in this culture but i would much rather take this into considdeation rather than foolishly think that by basing a decision on personall prefrence and it resulting in a legal battle .

Down here in cornwall there is a country park in which there are plenty of mono's throughout the park in a woodland envioroment which is in my mind is grate as schools , colleges and universitys are using the area to educate school children and the colleges and uni can study the ecological and envioromental benefits . :thumbup:

".... basing a decision on personall prefrence..."

This is not a case of personal preference though is it. In case we are failing to make our point clearly or forcefully enough for you....we simply cannot afford to miss these opportunities to retain and maintain our ecology. The habitat is fast dwindling and the brief window offered up to us to "manage" in a positive way should be grasped with both hands. Where better than the parks where , once again, people and nature can rub along together.

It is IMO because of the "alienation' from our natural world (ie..Not coming into contact with it ) that we fail to see how "risk averse " we have become. Its a disease that needs nipping in the bud....

Get real. Do what you can (No-one can ask more ) but above all, DO THE RIGHT THING! - :grinning-smiley-003

".... basing a decision on personall prefrence..."

This is not a case of personal preference though is it. In case we are failing to make our point clearly or forcefully enough for you....we simply cannot afford to miss these opportunities to retain and maintain our ecology. The habitat is fast dwindling and the brief window offered up to us to "manage" in a positive way should be grasped with both hands. Where better than the parks where , once again, people and nature can rub along together.

It is IMO because of the "alienation' from our natural world (ie..Not coming into contact with it ) that we fail to see how "risk averse " we have become. Its a disease that needs nipping in the bud....

Get real. Do what you can (No-one can ask more ) but above all, DO THE RIGHT THING! - :grinning-smiley-003

your making your point clearly but how do you intend to educate 90% of the british population ti your way of thinking ?? , i see exactly how risk adverse society has become and i much like you do not like it .

You seem to be missing the point cts and also, you seem to be dismissing the argument that has been outlined in this discussion so far. The dangers relating to the retention of a mono can ( & should) be minimised. This is right and proper. That you have mono's throughout your local park is testament to this fact.

You are providing your own argument or tact within this discussion with which we are both iun agreement. It needs be retained. Contact with the natural environment improves our awareness of a real world perspective, and by so doing, goes some way to giving the "much needed education" to Jo Public. Its a win win situation. The crux of the scenario is in "persuading" the authorities and tree managers, those with their mawks on the purse strings, that it is actually, very worthwhile doing. That to fail to recognise this fact of life is to ignore to some large degree their remit. By answering their queries before they ask the questions, you may find the task meets with less resistance than you imagine.

As I said - Do what you can-No-one can ask more!

i see your point from every angle and agree with it BUT how do you go about educating the LA's, TO's and landowners ? i was working for a company who had the contract for Exeter city council , the possibilities for leaving standing dead wood were endles but no the council RA would not allow it in fact we were not even allowed to fell large sticks and leave them for habitat . Also this is where the locall planners should advocate this practise in situations where protected trees need to be felled .

The legislation is out there.....

Austerity Countryside"...Plan to sell off nature reserves risks 'austerity countryside' | Environment | The Guardian

If as a nation we disregard our conservation duties, we will be held account for the failure and likely fined...

Im guessing theres no one single answer.And yes...I think the managers should be held more accountable. But as they arent...( what was I reading...a T.O. who only gets paid 4 1day a week ) I suppose it is upto us as indivuduals to champion the cause and keep hammering away at those who bang out the contracts and RA policies and the like. Promote the systems that are already in place that work but which are being ignored by managers...

Its a pertinent point that Monkey D makes re inspections. It flags more work for the authority and increased costs. We cant win. The truth is, we cant afford to lose. Many feel it is all fooked anyway. Some still deny global warming. Christ, some even deny the holocaust...Nowt as strange as folk !

The legislation is out there.....

Austerity Countryside"...Plan to sell off nature reserves risks 'austerity countryside' | Environment | The Guardian

If as a nation we disregard our conservation duties, we will be held account for the failure and likely fined...

Im guessing theres no one single answer.And yes...I think the managers should be held more accountable. But as they arent...( what was I reading...a T.O. who only gets paid 4 1day a week ) I suppose it is upto us as indivuduals to champion the cause and keep hammering away at those who bang out the contracts and RA policies and the like. Promote the systems that are already in place that work but which are being ignored by managers...

Its a pertinent point that Monkey D makes re inspections. It flags more work for the authority and increased costs. We cant win. The truth is, we cant afford to lose. Many feel it is all fooked anyway. Some still deny global warming. Christ, some even deny the holocaust...Nowt as strange as folk !

Dont meantion the WAR :sneaky2::laugh1: