Turkey oak in trouble

sean

Went to see this Turkey Oak the other day......It a big boy privately owned.

The tree has lots of die back in the crown and very small leaves. The main stem is also covered in these lesions which bear the hall marks from what i have seen of AOD. The tree is very close to Richmond Park where we have cases of Acute Oak Decline. The house was built 3 years ago and is on stilts. From what i gather talking to the client is that there garden is full of builders rubble and the arisings from the digging out for the house etc. It appears that the levels have risen quite substantially around the Oak and i suspect there is severe compaction going on.

The owner of this tree is quite fond of it and it is TPO"d although you wouldnt think so judging by whats gone on. It had 3 big limbs removed to facilitate the build. Not sure how they got permission for this and there was certainly no adherence to BS5837.

She had a quote from a firm to do a 40% reduction????:confused1: I said no way it'll finish it off. I am going to dead wood it as its over a main road but for the long term? Have told her that excavation of the root area would be needed and mulch applied if the tree is to be saved. God knows how much rubble is there though. What would be the best way of excavating around the roots without further damaging. Its a big area.

Or is it all a little late now?

All advice welcome.

Sean.

IMG_7272.jpg.a8cf0090bfbbe8135db3009e19c31c99.jpg

IMG_7271.jpg.a164132a3723928e40f72ff6fdad0899.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg.837d42cdb7692085e353028a157d7207.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg.2c601ac8da3488986458efb17023e949.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg.1f79c620fcd3ec27f43b209c0cc6f70f.jpg

IMG_7267.jpg.64c2e60b051bc02cf2511af867bf6cc0.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg.ba187cedc56ecd846232b5012f499c4b.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg.c6368cdd5221ba8e9624cb2a711b7f45.jpg

IMG_7264.jpg.43a59d3de43e86500558bd19e06080db.jpg

Canopy looks pretty sparse, which as you know aint no good for a vigorous tree like your here Turk.

Suggest getting intouch with the nice people from the FC doing the survey work on the Richmond Trees, put a case together to sell them the idea of tracking cross boandary spread, get a positive Id from them on the aod, tell the client, advise replace and Bobs your auntie suffering from a gender disorder.

Of course that's based on a few terweb piccies and no real feel for the tree, like what you have.

get it dw'd & monitor it over the next couple of years :001_smile:

Canopy looks pretty sparse, which as you know aint no good for a vigorous tree like your here Turk.

Suggest getting intouch with the nice people from the FC doing the survey work on the Richmond Trees, put a case together to sell them the idea of tracking cross boandary spread, get a positive Id from them on the aod, tell the client, advise replace and Bobs your auntie suffering from a gender disorder.

Of course that's based on a few terweb piccies and no real feel for the tree, like what you have.

get it dw'd & monitor it over the next couple of years :001_smile:

Yes the canopy is very sparse.

Have already submitted to Forestry Commission via Gillian so will await there response. Also told the client that until we can confirm or dismiss AOD the only work to do would be the deadwooding.

If it isnt AOD do you think it would be worth doing a decompaction programme? I'm not so sure personally.....think it might be too far gone.

Cheers

Nobody can offer any advice? cor blimey!:confused1:

Mmmm.....Levels dont look too out of the expected tbh. Compaction may well be the issue, giving rise as you know to the stress required for AOD to get a hold and further compound the stress status...No point in mulch unless you are able to alleviate compaction I might venture to summise. Looks as though there has been foundation work within the (obsolete ?) RPA

The first thing I thought on looking at these images Sean was..." Move that dolls house thing away from under the canopy ..."

Otherwise David has suggested a couple of options. Its always good to have options eh! :biggrin:

You need to get invasive IMO. Get some of that bark off around those lesions (you will need consent due to the TPO) - are they isolated or part of a wider tounge of necrosis? How about the often associated Agrilus spp. exit holes (maybe one at 11 o'clock in pic 5)? Armillaria produces similar lesions (though the height seems to be inconsistent) but obviously with a mycelium and different smell!

I've often considered decompaction/mulching to be the arb version of the GP's favourite - "...couple of days bed rest." Almost certainly benign (although perhaps not economically) and likely to be benefit whatever the ailment.

That Mr S, is indeed a fine spot.

One may consider that a spot in the order of comparrison to the skills of a lanky north of the border former pixar character.

Ha. We should start a thread where we congratulate each other! :D

Problem is it's closer to 10 o'clock! I realised after posting. I'd still suggest busting out a chisel to check if there is an associated area of damage. It might be an outlier...

Judging by the proximity of the wall I'd say there might have been some structural root cutting too. Prognosis is not so good but as was said before a bit of decompaction and maybe mycorrhization might benefit.

Bloody big tree to have dying and possibly de-stabilized right next to your house.