Mystery oak disease (monkey d)

Ross Smith

I think you could safely say that by removing the tree you possibly remove the possibility of transmission to the other tree. The arisings are supposed to be transported to an incinerater in a covered truck, not chipped, or buried on site as I understand it. Just burning on site may spread the spores as generally the fire is not hot enough.

this is the story of the mystery oak dave.

Hi,

It looks as if we now have a diagnosis as to what is affecting our oaks. From my reading of the attachment the determining factor is what caused the bark to crack that allowed the sap to ooze out. If the cracks are caused by honey fungus then we could have problems; if it is just old age or some physical cause then there is probably no problem. The froth appears just to be a symptom of the sap oozing out - what allowed the sap to ooze out is the critical thing.

Roger

----- Original Message -----

To: ROGER

Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 11:50 AM

Subject: RE: Possible acute oak decline

Good morning,

I have examined the photographs that you sent to us, and from what I can see at the base your trees are not suffering from Acute oak decline. Because you mention the smell of sweet alcohol, and the fact that insects are attracted to the ooze, I believe that is what we call oak froth. I have attached some information about this problem for your interest.

If you contact us again re this enquiry, please could you Advisory number ADV/920/2010/225.

With regards

Joan Rose (Mrs)

Disease Diagnostic and Advisory Service

Centre for Forestry and Climate Change

Forest Research

Alice Holt Lodge

Wrecclesham

Farnham

Surrey

GU10 4LH

UK