Solid biomass assurance scheme

Charlieh

HETAS have introduced/introducing an assurance scheme for solid fuel biomass, including in its remit is logs (oh my goodness, surely not, logs a biomass fuel what ever next :sneaky2: )

Solid Biomass Assurance Scheme

link to the pdf spec for logs

http://www.hetas.co.uk/pdfs/log%20-%20prod%20def.pdf

so whats everyones views, good that there is someone trying to teach people about the benefits of decent logs, or a waste of time?

interested that they have a specific length of 25cm so if you sell 30cm logs you dont qualify :confused1:

interested in views like is should all be split no branch wood, probably not a problem for the firewood processor guys but not ideal for those of us that have sold smaller loads from felled field trees and also i suspect arb waste from smaller firms, without bigger chippers.

anyway it looks like the scheme is still under review and it would probably be worth some of the larger firewood producers on here having a review and commenting to HETAS :thumbup:

the costs look pretty high, had a quick glance at registration of £100 plus £450 for site assessment , plus .03p yearly for each tonne processed - looks like it could be a costly process

1.1 CHARGING STRUCTURE Page 1 of 1

Solid Biomass Assurance Scheme

Charging structure

These fees are effective as of 18th February 2010 until further notice

Amount Application

Document assessment for each fuel categories (logs/ chips/ pellets/ briquettes)

£100

Site assessment for one processing site, with one fuel category * See discount opportunity below

£450

Site assessment of each additional processing site - £200 to £400

POA

Site assessment for additional categories

(logs/ chips/ pellets/ briquettes)

£200

Years registration (first year and renewal)

Years base fee

Per processing site

£250

Yearly levy

£ per tonne of biomass in the scheme

£0.03

Extras

Location premium

do you in anyway think it would benefit the industry? or ultimately do you think end price will dictates sales, rather than having a HETAS assurance on your products, i can see this being more or an issue in supply of chips/briquettes than in logs really, but im interested as it seems odd to try and set up an assurance scheme for logs,

it would definatley benefit the industry, it would give the committed and consciencious firewood merchants like us:001_tt2: further evidence that our logs are the best:lol:

but on a serious note, i looked into all the cents conformation material for biomass charlie and its pages long, alot of it covers traceability and conformaty of product - which we have anyway, so i think we shall put in for the scheme = when got time charlie:confused1:

its just a shame its another cost that we have to fork out for, when we try and keep overheads as low as possible

supplier near me already has it and says good things

but for me.......

not at all interested, lining directors pockets with easy money from my hard work

make it free and i'll think about it, but i know there is a lot of paperwork with this and the wood has to monitered and recorded throughout the drying process.

more time not spent producing or delivering the product

""I'm out""