making up a lanyard

ecolojim

you make a compelling argument!

I assume double fisherman-ing a rope to a snap constitutes observing correct practice? I dont really want to pay out for another grillon in 5m but I dont want to get to the course and find out it's not acceptable.

of course im worried about such things, I dont know any better

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think a snap hook is bit bulky, myself i use a 3mtr length of yale xtc with a splice which i nicked with a saw. Dont you think 5mtr is a bit much, rekkon it'll just get in the way,but does depened on what you want. I've never had any problems with 3mtr and if i've needed anymore lengh i've always used the other end of my climbing line. :)

now my brain's gonna explode. if i dont need 5m then i would just get a 3m steelcore

Why not get a 5m steel core?

Only joking, Grillons are o.k but expensive for what they are.

I've been using some Yale XTC (about 3meters) with a rocker style grab for a year now, but will be changing.

Before I used some 11/10mm static rope, it was much more hardwearing and lighter with 8mm prussik.

So now i will go back to the 11mm static, ditch the grab in favour of a knot, and I will be going for a 5m + length as yes I think the extra length is handy.

I also hate snaphooks, I cut them off my steelcore lanyard.

Splices look neat but are expensive, and there is no major benefit, having said that if you want something custom made to your liking the Jamie is deffinetly the guy to speak to.

Here is a pic of the set-up i'll be using. I'll go for 7m will lose some length tieing a fishermans, and stuff the excess in a ditty bag to stop it getting snagged.

The mini prussik is for cinching around stems so you don't side load the karabiner, that way you can have the lanyard set to your central anchor point and used as a single leg, therby getting the use of all the length, instead of having it doubled to your side D's, obviously this is for a second stabalising anchor not as a life line.

59765343491e1_work045.jpg.83b80359a30636c9f4b680f0517f8520.jpg

59765343451df_work044.jpg.7e088fce6659524b5144a7e0af98cd2d.jpg

Marc, that looks outstanding, and very well thought out especially with the second prusik for cinching stems. I like that idea.

also liking the bag idea for the slack. Ive been trying to get into the habit of daisy chaining up as much of the slack as i deem not needed on my grillon and it keeps it fairly neat, but with a 5m I can see the benefit of the bag.

whether or not yours is a VT, would you say that a VT and pulley is more foolproof for a beginner on a lanyard than it is on a climbing line? or what knot would you suggest? Im assuming with a VT or similar it is advisable to use a symetrical biner?

Bill, I cant speak for anyone else, but personally since im not yet running a chainsaw (working towards CS38) a steelcore doesnt justify the expense yet.

thanks one and all for your help so far

Jim

The VT in the pic has a half hitch after the last braid similar to a knute it makes it a little smoother and consistent.

symetrical biners are good for lanyards as they are narrower and don't dig into your side, plus less chance of side loading. At the end of the day any compact biner is o.k.