shopping list help

ecolojim

right guys. now ive made my first excursions into the canopy, I would very much like to be getting it right gear-wise, to give me the best chance while im up there.

thus far I have merely been using a sport climbing harness, screwgate biners (DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT), my yale xtc rope and my split tail.

harness-wise, i reckon it's gonna be kolibri time for me. gotta try one out first but better get it right first time IMO

so what else am I going to need between now and my cs38?

so far i can think of

cambium saver (but what length and do i need multiple?)

triple lock biners

some kind of lanyard/flipline (possibly two??)

throwbag and line

probably a new split tail or two for tying in with both ends of the climbing line if applicable

perhaps some light prussik cord and a micro pulley for auto-advancing my friction hitch when ascending 2:1

helmet with a chin strap I think the course requires

anything else? any ideas on the most cost effective setup please, im certainly not made of money but have managed to allocate as much as i can to getting the harness right.

show me the way of the force master jedis

Harness,

Climbing Line and split tails / prussic loops

4 3 way carabiners

cambium saver most are about a meter lng i think AND retrieval ball

pole strop, i like a 5 meter one but 3 meters is less hassle in smaller trees

throwline and bag,

a couple of simple snap lock carbiners for clipping stuff to you.

spikes are a good idea as well. i'm in mine most aerial days

you don't need the pully etc until you are a bit more experienced KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

oh and you are looking at about £500 quid for all that

Jamie

Harness,

Climbing Line and split tails / prussic loops

4 3 way carabiners

cambium saver most are about a meter lng i think AND retrieval ball

pole strop, i like a 5 meter one but 3 meters is less hassle in smaller trees

throwline and bag,

a couple of simple snap lock carbiners for clipping stuff to you.

spikes are a good idea as well. i'm in mine most aerial days

you don't need the pully etc until you are a bit more experienced KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

oh and you are looking at about £500 quid for all that

Jamie

cheers Jamie

Check out http://www.fujikara.com, they sell complete climbing kits :icon14:

golf clubs aparently :P nah i know the people you mean :)

Jim if you give us a ring i can try to help you through.

Justin

thanks Justin, i'll give you a bell in the morning i think.

:icon14:

got my stuff today including the kolibri. love it! so comfortable for just hanging around in and for bodythrusting etc. been getting to grips with positioning with my grillon too. i tried an ascending technique i saw in a video where you put your lanyard around the trunk and walk up it until your climbing line is slack and then tend the slack. was quite tough on the legs, but moreover the tree i was climbing was narrower than my waist so the fixed d rings tendedto pull in a bit tight, i think thats more due to the size of tree than anything, and the sheer amount of force being exerted on the d rings from me essentially standing horizontally out from the tree with no support from above. i didnt favour that method anyway. I also set myself up with my micropulley automatically advancing my blakes, but i found it considerably tougher pulling on the running end of the line doing that than when i would do it all manually, so for now, the pulley is back on my hip tending slack. the experimentation continues! :)