1st message hope it works

hippydan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can never understand a boss allowing the staff to have full access to kit for weekend jobs, surely thats financial suicide? Kit gets damaged, lost or stolen, the job should have been your money in your pocket, thats why you pay them a wage, surely? If they did a shabby job with your trucks all nicely sign-written, then word gets around. I've never seen any good come from this approach, tbh. One company I know of offers an incentive bonus of 5% capped at a max of 50quid for referrals, the lads I know say stuff that when we can earn 150 each for a Saturday using the company gear.

It always seems to be the laziest staff who suddenly find the energy to find their own work at the weekends, then cant be bothered all week. IMO!!

I would think that it is illegal to sac someone for having another job isnt it?:confused1:

Working for another tree company would qualify for instant dismissal, no question about that, out the door real fast!!

Working in another industry (bar work, saturday shop job etc) is fine if it doesn't effect your ability to carry out you full time job, so no you couldn't be sacked for it alone but if late/tired at work you could be warned verbally and in writing to stop and then be sacked if you didn't.

Working for your self doing tree work would probably fall somewhere between the first two examples. Not instant dismissal but if failure to stop when asked formally could lead to dismissal. You should be bringing the work into your company, not lining it up for your self at weekends, so that could be detrimental to your employer and ground for instant dismissal but a much greyer area than the first example above.

Likewise if you were tired during your evening pub job cos you had a hard day at work you would be "let go" pretty quick.

Another example, this is just a what if scenario.....

You work a saturday doing private tree work at a house next door to where you were working a couple of weeks ago with your company???

What do you think the legal response of your employer could be there??

I think grey area again but not that grey. Out the door!!

Of course if a boss has good employees he looks after them (gibbon for example) but vice versa, good employees should bring the work to the company.

Edited by Rupe

I can never understand a boss allowing the staff to have full access to kit for weekend jobs, surely thats financial suicide? Kit gets damaged, lost or stolen, the job should have been your money in your pocket, thats why you pay them a wage, surely? If they did a shabby job with your trucks all nicely sign-written, then word gets around. I've never seen any good come from this approach, tbh. One company I know of offers an incentive bonus of 5% capped at a max of 50quid for referrals, the lads I know say stuff that when we can earn 150 each for a Saturday using the company gear.

It always seems to be the laziest staff who suddenly find the energy to find their own work at the weekends, then cant be bothered all week. IMO!!

I have to agree with all of that!! Good employees shouldn't need to work elsewhere at weekends, bring it in and get a bonus. Much better and safer than offering bonuses for work done under the time allowed.

Thanks for all the responses they have given me a lot to think about. I live and work in different areas so there wont be any danger of taking my employers clients. However after reading all your different opinions i will speak to him and hopefully he will be understanding.

If you have a good workign relationship then it should be fine, if not then he could use it as a way to get you out.

The fact that its different areas is a good thing.

Insurance must be way down on your list of things to consider now!!

If you live in a different area to the usual work catchment, why not offer to promote his company in your area, leaflet dropping at weekends, getting out there meeting people, of course for a fair recompense for your time and effort. You will both get a return from this, the boss will get more work, and you will get increased job security from the extra work generated. Just an idea, may not be at all feasible.