motorway banking cutting/ chipping

shabz1978

i find this rather insulting. i put this on here hoping some of the less experienced lads on here might think about what they're being asked to do.

With respect sir less experienced lad( I include myself in this bracket) would do as there told because work is going to be hard to find for them if they kick up a fuss there not going to be argueing about health and saftey. I do agree this isnt safe working practice im just pointing my opinion on your bit of less experienced lads.

Motorway work is scary, it's a necessity, and yep there will be accidents. I actually think you can be better off getting on with it than messing about with to many lane closures etc.

People get frustrated in road works, and tend to pay less attention as they are not going as fast and so feel they can relax, and hence don't pay as much attention. When I was doing motorway work I was being paid decent money. There is a reason for this.

It is dangerous, the briefing before you start illustrates, or did a few years ago this. You have a choice in life. Worst we had was without fail cones flying up everynight without fail!

R

i know where you're coming from. i came from there! hopefully your confidence will grow with experience! if i can give you some advice...

choose your battles. don't refuse to use a blower "cos it's vibrating a bit"

plan what you're going to say and have good valid arguments

don't try and use health and safety as an excuse not to work, think of an alternative method of work that might better suit the situation or at least ask if anyone else can think of alternatives

i don't just mean on motorways, just for anything that you think looks dodgy

if i had an employer that i didn't think could live with that, i'd re-assess my situation

when i was working on the m4 they changed the rules on the safty that was happen on the motorway most of the time they had cones and red tape on the hard shoulder to block off the traffic only on working areas, but as the project over ran and every time u ran out of tape and couldnt work on without it, they changed the rules and said that we had to work with no cones and just 2 cones and a small bit of red tape that made a small working area behind the chipper, the rules get bent to suite the job and the cost