Rubbish quality

Dean Lofthouse

This week I bought two new bearing housings for my big mower, they are oregon parts so you'd expect decent quality.

I noticed "Made in China" on the box (these parts are £200 each list) so I decided to inspect them.

One seemed a little stiff to turn, I put it down to cold grease in the housing itself, so I put the shaft in the lathe chuck and fixed the outer housing to run it for a while to warm the grease.

After a good few minutes the housing was so hot you couldn't touch it !!

Deffo bearing adjustment too tight so I stripped it down to find too much pre load had been put on the bearings so ended up having to make a 10 thou shim and build it back up.

To me it was obvious it was too hard to turn so oregon QC should have picked this up. If a dumb Yorkshireman can pick up and make right a quality control issue why cant oregon

Things are just not what they used to be nowadays :thumbdown:

Just because you buy new, don't automatically think it will be spot on

59765592f0328_garage003.jpg.4959c95b90038e747435c2e07f289311.jpg

Deffo bearing adjustment too tight so I stripped it down to find too much pre load had been put on the bearings so ended up having to make a 10 thou shim and build it back up.

To me it was obvious it was too hard to turn so oregon QC should have picked this up. If a dumb Yorkshireman can pick up and make right a quality control issue why cant oregon

Things are just not what they used to be nowadays :thumbdown:

Just because you buy new, don't automatically think it will be spot on

Aye this is all to true nowadays . Even on the landys chassis the steel was supposed to be of a higher spec yrs ago . Its now mixed with other metals which in turn make it weaker and less resistant to the tin worm ? . I would hardly call making a 10 thou shim dumb or drystone walling , plastering , building your own garage . None the less your are a still Yorkshireman :lol: