Identify the wood.

10 hours ago, petrujenac said:

Sorry to disappoint you but the story is quite dull. I get them for free from a local warehouse, roughly 1200x70x70, thus no idea if they're UK grown. It's fairly soft (easy to dent even with the fingernail), has a unique scent (a bit fruity?...) and is slightly denser than softwoods. Very easy to mill, sand, stain and Osmo polyx reveals a pleasant colour. Not the most stable after ripping down though. It took about two months to acclimate before I made a nice hutch out of loads them last winter. More projects to follow. I'm fairly apprehensive on using it for garden furniture or for BBQ, as I still don't know what tree has delivered them.

P.S. I had the chance to work with willow when I was in grade 5, in secondary, but I can't remember what it was smelling like. 

It is probably unseasoned timber hence the high rate of movement.  If it is a continuing supply I am guessing that the species will vary depending on what logs the mill can buy most cheaply.  If it is poplar or willow it is not much use for outdoor work.  In fact very few european hardwoods are.  As it is clearly not chestnut or oak I would assume it is non-durable.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

It is probably unseasoned timber hence the high rate of movement.  If it is a continuing supply I am guessing that the species will vary depending on what logs the mill can buy most cheaply.  If it is poplar or willow it is not much use for outdoor work.  In fact very few european hardwoods are.  As it is clearly not chestnut or oak I would assume it is non-durable.

I've seasoned them myself for three years, outside under a open roof, stacked on 30mm spacers in-between. Then I put them under the beds for another two months before I did anything with them. They do have bits of poplar occasionally amongst the rest, which is easy to distinguish. 

1 hour ago, Stere said:

What did the warehouse use them for  packaging of some kind?

A Pallet wood species maybe....

Southern yellow pine?

They use them as spacers for stacks of long runs of metal furrings (first fix electrics). Clearly not a softwood type as no resin is present. Smells nothing like conifers and is a bit less prone to dents.

Edited by petrujenac

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Probably comes from the same  country as the  furrings so could be some exotic wood from china etc?

I'm not sure it comes from China (my guess is they're US made). Does china have exotic wood to throw away?... Here are some more images of glueups I made last year.

PXL_20231211_125058173.MP.jpg

PXL_20231203_171615510.jpg