Where to start! climbing kits

aleach1728

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this thread with my jaw wide open in utter disbelief!!!!

aleach, you're making it sound like your boss is doing you some kind of "Favour" by giving you kit and paying for your training..... HE'S NOT!!!! As an employer, he not only has the "duty of care" mentioned earlier, but in fact has a LEGAL OBLIGATION to provide you with training and fit for purpose equipment.

Furthermore, he's actually breaking the law by making you pay him back!!!

If i were you, i'd downlad a copy of the PUWER regs and wave that under his nose, whilst pointing out that you require a new climbing kit.

It constantly amazes me how employers like this get away with it. SHOCKING!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by Andy Clark

aleach, you're making it sound like your boss is doing you some kind of "Favour" by giving you kit and paying for your training..... HE'S NOT!!!! As an employer, he not only has the "duty of care" mentioned earlier, but in fact has a LEGAL OBLIGATION to pride you with training and fit for purpose equipment.

If i were you, i'd downlad a copy of the PUWER regs and wave that under his nose, whilst pointing out that you require a new climbing kit.

It constantly amazes me how employers like this get away with it. SHOCKING!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Im in a similar position myself were ive bought my own kit I got offered his and just said no it wouldnt pass a loler inspection. But what is heor me suppossed to do if we tell him that its the law and he has to then its going to cause friction between you and him and anyone can take over one of our spaces as trainees.

Dont get me wrong I completley agree with you but im in a small firm and work is none to easy to find right now especially for trainees.

aleach, you're making it sound like your boss is doing you some kind of "Favour" by giving you kit and paying for your training..... HE'S NOT!!!! As an employer, he not only has the "duty of care" mentioned earlier, but in fact has a LEGAL OBLIGATION to provide you with training and fit for purpose equipment.

Simple answer = Self Employed to him for 3 years now

in reply to bobbysm You've hit the nail on the head there. You would be out on your ear, labelled a trouble-maker to anyone your boss talks to. If your boss is reasonable, then a friendly chat would be the way around tricky issues, you may find he is more than helpful to you. You have to be careful not to have an "attitude" when discussing, storming in fluttering bits of paper under his nose may get his back up.

sorry andy clarke, but i dont agree with youre views, fair enough its the law, but a young trainee starting to rant about employment law, and what he's entitled too by law, waving and quoting regulations isnt going to exactly make the boss happy, or the trainee, trainee of the month.

aleech, how about you tell youre boss, thankyou for putting me through my course, but i feel i need some new climbing gear that i know hasnt been misused, how about we call it quits regarding the course fees, and i pay for my kit that will meet current safety standards

(rembering that this lad wants to use the kit on his own jobs)

You've hit the nail on the head there. You would be out on your ear, labelled a trouble-maker to anyone your boss talks to. If your boss is reasonable, then a friendly chat would be the way around tricky issues, you may find he is more than helpful to you. You have to be careful not to have an "attitude" when discussing, storming in fluttering bits of paper under his nose may get his back up.

I asked him straight up is there anyway he can make a contribution to my climbing kit and I said you know im on a low wage plus im learning to drive I may struggle geting it. to which he said you can use my discount and ill get you the VAT back.

In reply to Andy CLARK what would taking him to a tribunal do? Give me some monney? Give me a load of agro? And then be out on my ear because Im labbeled as a trouble maker.