Level 4 Arboriculturist Apprenticeship Standard: Compared to SEG/ABC level 4 in arboriculture

Peter Olley

I have been looking into completing the SEG (previously ABC) level 4 diploma in arboriculture in recent years, which seemed like the obvious route to progress past level 2/3 after many years. However, I have seen Myerscough College now offer a 2-year level 4 apprenticeship known as: "Level 4 Arboriculturist Apprenticeship Standard".

Has anyone been on this course or know someone that has? If so, do you know how it compares to the SEG level 4 in terms of content and industry recognition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

You can find out about the apprenticeship here:

https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/arboriculturist-v1-0

The Level 4 in Arboriculture does not appear to be a mandatory qualification so I would check with the training provider to find out if this is included.

Lynher Training
We will be running our classroom based Level 4 Award in Arboriculture in Spring 2024 here on the Devon/Cornwall border.

6 hours ago, dangb93 said:

Be aware, I think there are three levels of the L4 Arboriculture - award, certificate and diploma. I believe diploma is the full one.

The award, cert and dip are not levels. They are the size of the qualification. The overall qualification is run at level 4, one up from A level.  The award, cert and dip are the number of units.   One of the units in the L4 is delivered at L5 also.  Same with the L6, one of the units is delivered at L5 and another at L7.  The L5 unit is the same one at L4 and L6. 

I’m not that familiar with the L4 as I did L6.  At L6 you do 4 units for the cert and 8 for the dip.  I did 8 units for the dip.  The 8 is what makes it equivalent to an honours degree. But the cert (4 units), is still a full qualification.    It’s a full L6 cert. Just not equivalent to a degree with honours. 

I would personally only go with a provider if you have the option to build up the qualification to dip if you want to after you do cert. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris at eden said:

The award, cert and dip are not levels. They are the size of the qualification. The overall qualification is run at level 4, one up from A level.  The award, cert and dip are the number of units.

That's what I was trying to say, but my choice of the word 'levels' was poor I admit. Having the diploma demonstrates a wider knowledge than having an award or cert, because more units have been studied.

Edited by dangb93

Thanks for the replies. I was aiming to do the SEG level 4 diploma in one go anyway, rather than do the award or cert and build up to a diploma.

My main issue was that I had never heard anything about the level 4 apprenticeship standard at Myerscough, and cannot find much else online about it. I wondered how it compared to the SEG/ABC courses.

8 hours ago, dangb93 said:

That's what I was trying to say, but my choice of the word 'levels' was poor I admit. Having the diploma demonstrates a wider knowledge than having an award or cert, because more units have been studied.

Spot on.  The levels thing is a bit weird. I found the structural damage unit (L7) easier than most of the other units including the selection and planting one (L5).  It’s a higher level but it’s facts and figures, very analytical which I find easier than the more wholly units.  Just the way I think I suppose. 

The independent research project (basically a dissertation) is hard until you get going and then it just steam rollers.  It’s hard to start though and is easily the hardest unit.  It’s mandatory for the L6 dip, but only optional for the L6 cert which is another big difference. 

3 hours ago, Peter Olley said:

Thanks for the replies. I was aiming to do the SEG level 4 diploma in one go anyway, rather than do the award or cert and build up to a diploma.

My main issue was that I had never heard anything about the level 4 apprenticeship standard at Myerscough, and cannot find much else online about it. I wondered how it compared to the SEG/ABC courses.

I’m not sure about the apprenticeship but I can’t recommend the ABC courses via tree life highly enough.  The amount of learning you do is unbelievable. Just life changing.  It’s a lot of work though. Pretty full on so you need to be able to commit.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/12/2023 at 18:04, Peter Olley said:

I have been looking into completing the SEG (previously ABC) level 4 diploma in arboriculture in recent years, which seemed like the obvious route to progress past level 2/3 after many years. However, I have seen Myerscough College now offer a 2-year level 4 apprenticeship known as: "Level 4 Arboriculturist Apprenticeship Standard".

Has anyone been on this course or know someone that has? If so, do you know how it compares to the SEG level 4 in terms of content and industry recognition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a job advert for the L4 Arboriculture apprenticeship with AWA Trees with the training provider being Myerscough College in the employment section in here - posted on Monday - with a link to the job advert/details - so a perfect opportunity for you to find out more.