Is it possible to get firewood to 20% MC if air dried outdoors without a roof in the UK?

Elliott.F

4 hours ago, Steven P said:

However OP is for domestic use, not sure they will have an open sided shed, splitter, few IBC cages and a tractor?

I don’t think the scale is relevant. If you could get wood dry outside without any kind of roof, why waste shed space filling it with firewood whether it’s tractor loaded IBC’s in a barn or hand stacked in a shed. 
I think the consensus is you can get it to 20% or below outside, but come winter it’s not going to need covering if you want to keep it at 20%

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elliott.F said:

I think you’ve nailed it. 

Agreed. If you cut, split and stack the wood in an open sunny area, before the sap rises then you can get the moisture level below 20% by the end of summer.  Sorry for going on about big sheds, 2 years and mechanisation, that just makes life so much easier. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elliott.F said:

I don’t think the scale is relevant. If you could get wood dry outside without any kind of roof, why waste shed space filling it with firewood whether it’s tractor loaded IBC’s in a barn or hand stacked in a shed. 
I think the consensus is you can get it to 20% or below outside, but come winter it’s not going to need covering if you want to keep it at 20%

Saves double handling it. If you have an open sided shed to put it in this is good - plenty of air flow, a roof over the top for the winter and rain. If all you have is a garden shed then you need to dry it outside to get the air flow and then handle it all again to move it under cover in the autumn. Just shoving wet wood in an enclosed space is asking for mould and wet wood in the winter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

Saves double handling it. If you have an open sided shed to put it in this is good - plenty of air flow, a roof over the top for the winter and rain. If all you have is a garden shed then you need to dry it outside to get the air flow and then handle it all again to move it under cover in the autumn. Just shoving wet wood in an enclosed space is asking for mould and wet wood in the winter

Ah yes I see your point. Double handling should definitely be avoided.
IMG_2418.thumb.jpeg.ace746fe8e3795f3a56429dd32a10ecf.jpegI built my shed with that in mind. It has no sides, and I can put of couple of 4m roofing sheets on the top for winter. Holds just over 10 cube and once it’s stacked in there it will stay there until I use it. This pic is from earlier in the year without the roofing sheets. 

• Like 7