MS 460 advice

Ledburyjosh

One turn out on the H and L screw is the standard setting. I generally find that I need to pull the limiters on older 460s as they loosen up and start over revving but, in your case....a carb strip, clean and reassemble makes sense, most saws benefit from it. The air filter - clean it with oil based fluid and a compressor, worth replacing the fuel filter then put it all back together again and tach it.

You could just run it though....choice is yours.....looks like the H setting was a bit of a red herring!

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 11:12, pleasant said:

I would strongly advise removing the spark plug lead before pulling it over with you face near the chain and exhaust port....even if the switch is in the off position.

Yes safety first and bar off.  But I always wonder....normally the reason I look at the piston is because I have just yanked the starter cord 40 times and turned the air blue with obscenities.  If a two stroke won't start with full yanks, would it really start with the weak tickle required to inspect the piston??

It won't start but if you yank the saw over with the plug out or being earthed on the cylinder to check the spark, the saw will kick out a fine fuel vapour out of the plug hole and if this reaches a spark, it gets pretty exciting - I have seen 1' flames like a blow lamp coming out of the plug hole. 

Easily done and worth mentioning.

If you don't believe us, pull a saw over 15 times on full choke with the stop switch on, take the plug out, earth it with the electrode over the plug hole and pull the saw over with the switch set to "On". 

If you are still with us after trying it, report back:scared1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2